Community Discussion · Policy

Behind Momenta's IPO: The 'Flight Control' Logic of Physical AI Is Worth More Than Algorithms

Flight Control YouthFlight Control YouthJul 172026/07/17 127 views

After working on flight control for so many years, I've seen countless systems that run perfectly in simulation but crash the moment they hit real hardware. A few microseconds of difference in interrupt latency within the code, or one beat off in the timing of IMU data fusion, can cause the entire control loop to oscillate. Autonomous driving is essentially also a real-time control problem, so when I saw Momenta go public and giants like Mercedes-Benz and BYD scrambling to be cornerstone investors, my first reaction wasn't "how awesome is the algorithm," but rather "how did they solve the hard constraint of real-time performance."

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
PR Merged
PR MergedJul 27(edited)

[quote="yuan_wenyuan, post:1, topic:897"]

Having worked on flight control for so many years, I've seen too many systems that fly perfectly in simulation but crash the moment they hit real hardware. If the interrupt latency in the code differs by a few microseconds, or if the timing of IMU data fusion is off by one beat, the entire control loop will oscillate. Autonomous driving is essentially also a real-time control problem, so when I saw Momenta go public and giants like Mercedes-Benz and BYD scrambling to be cornerstone investors, my first reaction wasn't "how awesome their algorithms are," but "how did they solve the hard constraint of real-time performance."

For a drone in the air, the delay from sensor acquisition to control output must be less than 10 milliseconds. For a car on the highway at 1…

[/quote]

This analysis is spot on. Event-triggered mechanisms are standard in flight control but become core barriers in autonomous driving. Recently, I've seen some open-source real-time system projects rewriting interrupt handling in Rust, which is indeed much cleaner than traditional polling.