NIO Invests $158M in CXMT: Automotive Storage 'Lock-in' Logic Deserves More Attention Than In-House Chips
Community Discussion · Policy

NIO Invests $158M in CXMT: Automotive Storage 'Lock-in' Logic Deserves More Attention Than In-House Chips

Sister QingSister QingJul 152026/07/15 64 views

Yesterday afternoon, while I was debugging memory usage for an edge-side model in the lab, a colleague threw a news headline at me: "NIO invested in CXMT, 158 million, locked for 18 months." My first reaction was: Isn't NIO already developing its own chips? Why invest in storage? Later, I looked closely at the product line—LPDDR4X and LPDDR5X, both automotive-grade. This reminded me of an ISSCC paper I read last month discussing power optimization for LPDDR5X in autonomous driving domain controllers. Back then, my advisor said that storage bandwidth and power are the "invisible ceilings" for automotive-grade chips. Now it seems NIO might have realized this earlier than I did.

0 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
No replies yet — be the first to share your thoughts