A 19-DOF Dexterous Hand: I Spent Two Hours Handling It in Person
Community Discussion · Policy

A 19-DOF Dexterous Hand: I Spent Two Hours Handling It in Person

Cockpit EnthusiastCockpit Enthusiast3d ago2026/09/30 131 views

I compared the official demo scripts with an issue summary on GitHub and actually ran through it.

Background first. A dexterous hand is the hand at the end of a robot's arm. Degrees of freedom can be understood as the number of joints it can independently move—the more, the closer to a human hand. I normally do cockpit interaction, which has nothing to do with this. Last month I went to a robotics-related conference, and a partner's booth had an OmniHand 2025 on display, saying I could try connecting it myself. So I stayed.

What I care about is whether someone who doesn't understand robotics can connect it and use it. Whether it looks like a human hand is secondary. The booth had the professional model: 19 degrees of freedom, the whole hand 750 grams. They emphasized it's the world's lightest industrial hand. I lifted it—it really is light, much less than I'd imagine a metal hand should weigh. Holding it one-handed is no effort. Max output per finger is 20 newtons, multimodal sensing precision down to 0.1 newton level. These two numbers can't be verified on-site, and the booth had no conditions to test them.

On the setup side, they gave me a laptop with the environment installed, connected to the hand via serial port. The SDK is open source, with position control and torque control modes. They first ran a preset gesture switch, from open to pinch, passing through several intermediate poses—the motion was quite smooth, no obvious stuttering. I followed along, and the first time I got stuck on serial port permissions. The error message was hard to understand, and I had to check that issue summary to match it up—it was a driver and permissions issue. Setting up the environment took me about forty-plus minutes.

On results, what surprised me most was the ROS2 plus MoveIt2 path. There's a public course tutorial code on GitHub using the left hand as the hardware base, stringing together preset gesture management, collision-aware path planning, and executing planning results to the serial driver—you can go from joint targets directly to actual hand poses. I followed it and got pinch and grasp working. The closed loop holds. But that's as far as it goes—it can demo, but it's far from deliverable.

There are a few pitfalls. First, the DOF numbers don't match: the professional model is advertised as 19 DOF, but the SDK repo description says 12 DOF professional version. I asked on-site and was told it's a batch or definition difference, but the external materials are inconsistent, and the model naming isn't uniform across several documents either. Second, the official tutorial only covers the left hand. Third, the manual has a dedicated section on risk assessment, with usage precautions and after-sales—that's a plus, but it also shows this isn't something you just plug in and use.

I ran the parameters through the same thinking as my smart-driving marketing breakdown table. The three metrics—light, precise, strong—are all on paper. Whether it can stay stable over time depends on how long it runs. It's passed ISO9001, CE, RoHS, and EMC certifications. I've done automotive-grade work, so I habitually distinguish: these are system certifications and electrical/EMC certifications, which are a different matter from long-term reliability and lifespan. In marketing language these two categories often get mixed together.

So the conclusion is: it depends. Suitable for teams doing embodied AI algorithm validation and data collection, especially labs and universities. The Lite model starts at 9,800 yuan—as an end effector for data collection, the cost-performance is reasonable. Not suitable for those wanting to buy it and put it directly on a production line, nor for individual hobbyists. The barrier of environment setup and debugging is right there—when an error pops up, you need to be able to read the source code yourself. Next thing I want to see is the consistency of force control after running continuously for several hours. The booth can't give me that answer.

Whether this kind of hand can enter industrial sites ultimately depends on whether anyone is willing to write a stable calibration and maintenance process for it. 19 degrees of freedom won't solve that problem.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Si Nan
Si Nan2d ago

Stuck on serial port permissions for over 40 minutes — this barrier really scares off ordinary hobbyists.

Engineer Xue

That SDK repo says 12 degrees of freedom, but externally it says 19. I've fallen into the same trap before—ask clearly how they define it before choosing a model.