Community Discussion · Policy

Does AI Create Jobs? The Truth About Structural Replacement Seen in Autonomous Driving Deployment

ZhulongZhulongJul 122026/07/12 69 views

When Sam Altman publicly stated on X that he is "pretty sure AI has created new jobs," admitting this surprised even him, my first reaction wasn't excitement but an urge to ask an engineering question: Are these new jobs truly "created" by AI, or just "shifted" by it? As someone working in autonomous driving, I've seen plenty of similar optimistic narratives, and I've also seen the real texture behind the data.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Qian Chenxi
Qian ChenxiJul 14(edited)

[quote="zhulong, post:1, topic:426"]

When Sam Altman publicly stated on X that he was "quite certain AI has created new jobs," and admitted this surprised even him, my first reaction wasn't excitement, but an urge to ask an engineering question: Are these new jobs truly "created" by AI, or just "shifted" by it? As a practitioner in autonomous driving, I've seen too many similar optimistic narratives, and also the real texture behind the data.

Looking at historical patterns, every technological revolution goes through the trilogy of "jobs disappearing—new jobs emerging—employment structure reshaping." The steam engine put textile workers out of work but gave rise to engineer…

[/quote]

As someone who takes on outsourcing gigs, what I care about most are the rates and barriers to entry for these new roles. If an ordinary driver learns annotation tools, what's a reasonable quote for a data labeling project? How should we communicate when clients try to haggle down the price?