
A friend recommended this joint module, and I only understood it after a trip to the customer site
A friend who does robotics told me a while ago that Tianji Intelligent's integrated joint modules are the lightest in their load class, and told me to check them out. I happen to have a portfolio company making collaborative arms, so I went along to the client's place and squatted for half a day, had the sales rep give a demo, and brought back some operation videos to compare against the specs.
First, let me clarify what this thing is. An integrated joint module—you can think of it as the joint on a robot arm or leg, packing four things into one shell: motor, reducer, encoder, driver. Previously these four were bought separately, installed separately, tuned separately. Now they're made into one module—screw it on and it works. Tianji Intelligent's main selling points are two: light weight, and built-in four-loop control plus 8kHz torque closed loop. Four-loop control means position, speed, current, and torque—all four control loops are inside. 8kHz means it does eight thousand torque calibrations per second. Torque loop bandwidth goes up to 160Hz—the higher this number, the faster it responds to force changes, and the less the robot drifts in scenarios like screw-tightening or assembly that require feel.
The friend's recommendation was actually very practical: lightest in the same load class. Lightness in robotics isn't an aesthetic issue. My portfolio company's collaborative arm has a limited end load—every bit of joint weight reduced means either more payload or longer reach. The savings are real money. I picked it up on site and weighed it—indeed lighter than a certain harmonic module we used before. I won't give a specific number since I didn't have a scale; just a rough feel—anyway, one hand holds it without effort.
Now the pleasant surprises. During the demo they had the arm do a compliant drag—push it by hand, let go and it stops, no shaking. I've seen shaking on other modules before, especially at low speed—gear meshing backlash and friction cause jerky motion. Its torque closed loop performs fairly cleanly at low speed. Also the wiring: terminal-type and flying-lead type output options. My client used terminal-type, which was indeed easier to install—no need to coil a bunch of wires inside the joint like before, saving routing space.
There are sticking points too. Communication protocol is EtherCAT or CANopen—both industrial buses. CANopen is manageable; EtherCAT has requirements for the main controller and real-time performance. My client's main controller was off-the-shelf, not hard to modify, but if you're new to buses, just getting the master to recognize the slave takes some fiddling. Power-off brake is optional. I should mention this: power-off brake locks the joint when power is cut, preventing the arm from dropping. Optional means it's not there unless you pay extra. When buying, you need to think clearly whether your application needs it. My client makes desktop-level collaborative arms, slow speed, didn't add it. But if you're doing large reach, high-speed motion, don't skimp on this.
One more thing to remind: this thing isn't plug-and-play. Built-in control is built-in, but to make it move, you still need a main controller, power supply, and some calibration work. The first time I watched them calibrate the zero position, the engineer adjusted for about twenty minutes. This type of product is all like this—I'm just saying it upfront so no one thinks it's like buying a motor.
So my conclusion: suitable for teams already making robot bodies, sensitive to weight and integration, especially in humanoid and collaborative arm lines—the lightest-in-class point really translates into product competitiveness. Not suitable for someone who just wants to buy a joint to play with, or teams without anyone who understands bus communication and motion control. Also, if your application is extremely cost-sensitive, integrated modules are inherently more expensive than separate parts—that premium buys you integration and weight, not performance specs themselves.
Physix Frontier