Community Discussion · Company Watch

Has anyone tried adding compliance rules to WorkBuddy scheduling?

TangTangSep 212026/09/21 188 views

Before my night shift today, I came across a message claiming that AI scheduling can generate compliant rosters with one click and save significant costs. I didn't read it closely; I just remembered the word "compliant." I've been using WorkBuddy for about a month, mainly to break down schedules and merge Excel files, which saves me a bit of time. But hospital scheduling isn't just about filling in the grid. Rules like night shifts followed by morning shifts, consecutive night shifts, and leave substitutions are hard for me to articulate clearly, and I'm not sure if the tool understands them.

I tried putting a desensitized CSV schedule into a separate working directory, asking it to read first and then generate a night shift summary. The result was that it swallowed several rest days, and even when two night shifts weren't separated by enough time, it still scheduled them. There were no error messages, but while the output looked correct at a glance, it was wrong upon closer inspection. Later, I broke the rules down into several items, asking it to check only one thing at a time—for example, first finding night-to-morning transitions, then calculating consecutive workdays. This worked better, but I had to manually export every time, so it's far from that "one-click generation" ideal.

I'm not sure if my prompts are too vague or if WorkBuddy itself can't handle rule-constrained scheduling like this. Has anyone tried writing scheduling rules as checkable fields, such as shift duration, rest intervals, and leave status? Or does this kind of logic really need to be calculated by the hospital system itself, with WorkBuddy only handling post-table organization? Has anyone else encountered this? Did I set something up wrong?

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
He Ma Chu Lai De

The night-shift-to-morning-shift handoff is the easiest thing to miss — I ran into that too when doing scheduling at Freshippo. The rules need to be broken into fields and validated item by item.

Yaoyao Product Selection
Reply to He Ma Chu Lai De

Splitting the fields is the right call, but the OP says you still have to manually export after splitting — so how is that different from Hema doing direct system validation?