WorkBuddy field misalignment when merging industry tables - am I using it wrong?
Community Discussion · Company Watch

WorkBuddy field misalignment when merging industry tables - am I using it wrong?

Lun Wen HeLun Wen HeSep 212026/09/21 178 views

Last night, my advisor asked me to add a sentence about the industry background in Chapter 3. I came across sales data for aerial work platforms for Jan-Feb: total volume of 24,250 units, up 9.89% year-on-year. So I casually tried to extract the domestic, export, and YoY columns from several PDFs and Excel files to make a small table.

I've been using WorkBuddy for about a month, usually just letting it organize literature packages. I previously wrote a post about using it for my thesis pipeline, thinking that as long as I didn't let it write the main text, it would be safe. But this time, I couldn't even get the table right. I created an "Industry Data" folder, dropped in three PDFs, two screenshots, and one Excel file, and asked it to extract by "Month, Category, Sales Volume, YoY." I specifically told it not to generate body text and not to touch the thesis content. The resulting table had misaligned fields: 24,250 ended up in the "Export" column, and 9.89% sometimes appeared in "YoY" and sometimes in "Notes." Even weirder, it treated repeated headers as data, generating a bunch of empty rows labeled "YoY decline."

I tried renaming the files and also tried uploading only one PDF at a time, asking it to output field mappings first before merging. But the second attempt prompted a lack of permission to access local folders, and when exporting to CSV, a column was missing. Maybe I misunderstood something—is WorkBuddy unable to directly process these statistical bulletin-style tables? Do they need to be converted into structured Excel first? Has anyone else encountered this? Did I mess up some setting?

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Tao
TaoSep 21

Misalignment is due to lack of schema constraints. I suggest running a mapping layer to validate fields first, don't merge directly—scalability is too poor.

Fang An Fan Zi
Reply to Tao

Agreed. But WorkBuddy throws an error right after running permissions. Is there really no problem with the technical feasibility of landing this schema mapping layer?