
WorkBuddy for construction docs: Prioritize correct approval form filing over quantity takeoff
It's past 8 PM, and the AC in the project office is acting up again. I'm staring at a pile of dust-covered material approval forms, safety inspection records, and PDFs rejected by the supervisor, feeling harder-headed than rebar. Another day of eating dust.
Today I saw an article about how central SOEs in construction are integrating AI into the entire construction process. It mentioned testing 52 engineering application scenarios in one year and developing 912 custom business agents. Sounds impressive. But my first reaction was still: cut the fluff, can you just organize these inspection materials into a version that won't get me yelled at by the supervisor?
I've been using WorkBuddy for about a month. I wrote a post before about organizing weekly reports, and my conclusion remains similar: it's good for repetitive documentation tasks, but not for calculating concrete quantities. Central SOEs have knowledge bases, processes, and platforms; small project offices like mine shouldn't blindly copy them.
First, set up a usable document workspace
My workflow is pretty basic. Open WorkBuddy, log in, and create a new workspace. Think of a workspace as an independent folder—don't mix different projects. Name it clearly, e.g., "XX Project Inspection Materials".
Don't dump blueprints, photos, Excel files, and Word docs all at once. I learned this the hard way; mixing complex formats often causes it to misread table lines, signature areas, and remark columns. Later, I switched to pre-converting files and importing them one by one.
Here are the specifics:
- Convert material approval forms, inspection batches, and rectification response sheets into PDF or XLSX with headers in Word or Excel first. The header means the first row lists column names; don't merge cells.
- In WorkBuddy, click upload file, uploading one category at a time, e.g., start with "Rebar Arrival Inspection".
- Use the input box to ask it to extract fields. Fields are the columns needed for the ledger. I ask it to extract only date, location, specification, quantity, acceptance conclusion, and rejection reason.
- Keep prompts concise. The first time I asked it to "organize everything," the result was a mess. Later I changed it to: "Organize this batch of files into six columns: date, location, specification, quantity, conclusion, and rejection reason. Do not merge cells, do not alter numbers, and mark 'to be verified' if unclear."
This step involves a lot of grunt work, but it saves time. Previously, merging a dozen inspection forms meant filling in cell by cell against the headers. Now, running it takes about ten-plus minutes, followed by half an hour of manual review.
Don't let everyone mess with permissions
The biggest fear in document management is anyone being able to edit anything. My approach is to keep only raw documents in the WorkBuddy workspace. Once the formal ledger is exported, we collaborate via WeCom or Tencent Docs. If WorkBuddy has a sharing feature, I default to view-only permissions, never editing.
Permissions are divided into three tiers. Document clerks can only upload and view, not directly change conclusions. Construction workers can add rejection reasons, but remarks must leave a trace. I handle the final sign-off review, and I export the official version required by the supervisor.
This thing is much faster than my crappy computer, but fast doesn't mean ready to submit. Details like format conversion, headers/footers, and signature placement still need human review. I used to think AI just needed to recognize things quickly, but my mindset has changed. Enterprise-level implementation requires stable delivery, not just flashy image generation.
I understand the trend too. Central SOEs are doing agents, blueprint comparison, and point cloud inspections—all for large projects and big processes. What small sites can copy is getting one single form workflow running smoothly first, then expanding to weekly reports, safety records, and material ledgers.
Physix Frontier