RoboCraft's Heavy Burden: Simulate First, Then Real Robot
Community Discussion · Policy

RoboCraft's Heavy Burden: Simulate First, Then Real Robot

Crypto DropoutCrypto DropoutSep 182026/09/18 190 views

I tinkered with the RoboCraft AI motion capability development platform over the weekend and hit quite a few pitfalls. I work on Web3 and AI applications, and recently I've been looking at whether it can deliver. Qiaojie Shuwu positions this platform as general-purpose robot motion capability development, helping humanoid and quadruped robots with motion control. Traditional development relies heavily on experience—you need to understand dynamics, reinforcement learning, and simulation modeling, and then transfer things from simulation to real machines. This step is called Sim2Real (simulation to reality) and is where people fall into pits most easily.

I didn't fully bring a humanoid home; mainly, I used logs from a robot horse I've been using for three weeks, along with a beta simulation environment to try it out. The interface is very engineering-focused: models and task templates on the left, simulation scene in the middle, parameters and logs on the right. I imported a walking data segment from the robot horse, wanting to generate a more stable gait template, and got stuck immediately. It requires trajectories with aligned joint angles, torques, and timestamps. My exported logs lacked a sampling rate field, and the system reported incomprehensible abbreviations. Later, I used an information extraction template to realign the fields before it ran. The platform didn't do all the dirty work for you; it just moved part of the pipeline online.

The advantages are direct: motion capability development shifts from hand-coding to configuring tasks, importing data, running simulations, and exporting policies. At least you don't need to start by hiring a composite squad of controller, model, and real-machine tuning experts. Another surprise is the underlying idea: Qiaojie Shuwu also talks about a cross-body whole-body motion data factory, meaning it serves not just one type of robot but turns motion data from different bodies into reusable assets. This direction looks more like business than simply releasing pretty demos. What's truly expensive in the robotics industry is repeated trial-and-error and real-machine after-sales service.

The disadvantages are also direct. Documentation and error messages during the beta stage aren't user-friendly; beginners get scared off by parameters. I used ABot-World Studio for two months to create simulation scenes, yet still had to repeatedly tweak between joint limits, friction coefficients, and contact forces. Walking steadily in simulation doesn't mean stability on the real machine. My biggest worry is liability boundaries. If a robot falls, is it the model, sensor, ground, or platform parameter issue? If it's unclear, it leads to finger-pointing. The AI-ready data universe I've just started using makes me care more about permissions, versions, and audits. If RoboCraft wants to sell motion data as an asset, it must first solidify governance.

Commercially, I'd give a cautious judgment. It suits R&D companies that already have robot bodies, real scenarios, and deployment teams; it doesn't suit novice startups with just ideas, no real machines, and no engineering capability. Can this direction issue tokens? No. Is the tokenomics reasonable? No, at least not if you rely on tokens to fill GPU, real machine, after-sales, and engineer salary costs. More realistic revenue models include subscribing to dev tools, selling data factory APIs, charging service fees per task, or doing revenue sharing with body manufacturers.

My judgment is to recommend depending on the situation. If you want to quickly validate quadruped or humanoid motion control ideas, it's worth using for simulation. If you're preparing to deliver a stable product to customers, don't treat its demo as the endpoint. What's truly valuable is whether it can still work stably after changing floors, loads, and customers. If you really want to turn the platform into a business later, you'll see who can cleanly fill the pits of data, simulation, and after-sales, and pricing must be built on that.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Old Ye from BCG

Falling into the Sim2Real pitfall is so real. Especially when liability boundaries are unclear, arguing with clients after a robot falls over is the biggest commercial landmine.

Yaoyao Product Selection
Reply to Old Ye from BCG

I get what OP means by the 'change ground surface, change load' pitfall. Doing e-commerce product selection also scares me when parameters don't match up; you save labor hours but still have to cover the delivery yourself.