
After WorkBuddy Helped Me Compile Construction Site Weekly Reports, I Set Aside the Fluff
It was past 8 PM, and the AC in the project department still wasn't working well. I came across an overseas review stating that WorkBuddy could create reports, slides, and websites. My first thought was: could it turn the dusty pile of weekly reports, safety inspection records, and Excel progress sheets on my desk into a version that supervisors can actually understand?
I've used WorkBuddy for about a month, mainly for document organization, table cleaning, and drafting reports. I've looked at many AI CAD tools before; drawing wireframes looks fancy, but construction sites need something that can consolidate dirty data like rebar delivery plans, concrete volumes, and safety hazards into a single table. So this time, I'm not testing website generation—I'm running it through the most mundane tasks in the project department.
First, setup. Open WorkBuddy, click New Project, and name it Project XX Week 38 Data. Then click Upload Files and upload WeeklyReport.docx, ProgressSheet.xlsx, SafetyInspection.pdf, and two site photos together. Here's a pitfall: initially, I tried to save effort by dumping seven or eight files in at once and asking for a direct report. The result? Merged cells in tables got messed up, and dates were arbitrarily changed to Chinese formats. I learned my lesson: upload only one task package at a time, max three to five files. Separate Word and Excel clearly. If PDFs are scans, use File Conversion > PDF to Word within WorkBuddy first, then import the converted file into the project.
Once the data is in, write prompts in the input box. Prompts are instructions for the AI; the simpler and more specific, the more stable. I generally write: "Organize based solely on uploaded files. Do not add information not present. Keep original values for rebar quantities, concrete volumes, and dates. Output in four sections: Completed This Week, Existing Issues, Next Week's Plan, Items Requiring Supervisor Confirmation." Don't mess with key parameters: select Word for output format, 1 Page for length, Engineering Report for tone, and check Preserve Original Data. My environment is the Windows client, which may not apply to everyone, but this config reduces rework.
Then click Generate Report; a preview appears on the right. Don't export immediately. First verify three things: quantities, dates, and responsible teams. WorkBuddy isn't a quantity surveying software; don't trust it for professional design or precise calculations. It's more like a document clerk, digging tables out of the dust and extracting paragraphs from Word into report formats. Previously, I tried to save Tokens by writing less, resulting in omitted items and more time spent on rework. Later, I realized specifying requirements fully is worth more than saving those few words.
When exporting, click Export and choose Word or PPT. For supervisors, I suggest exporting to Word first, then letting WorkBuddy convert it to PPT using the Report Template. Don't expect too much flair in this step; construction reports suffer most from pages full of animations. A clear table beats that. After conversion, I manually delete unsupported fluff, keeping data sources and footer notes.
Be careful with collaboration. I sync the initial draft generated by WorkBuddy to Tencent Docs. Document clerks in the project group get view-only access; my manager and I have edit rights. Team leaders cannot modify data directly, only comment. Exported files are sent to the project group via WeCom with permissions set to Visible to Project Group Only, so we roughly know who edited and who viewed.
I run this routine every Friday afternoon. File naming is simple: date + content + version, e.g., 2026-09-13_WeeklyReport_v1. Clear old tasks weekly, keeping only templates and current week's data; otherwise, the task list gets cluttered, making searching harder than calculating quantities. Another pitfall: encrypted PDFs and scanned images with red stamps often fail recognition. Best to manually split these into pages or have clerks save them as standard Word docs.
My tests show WorkBuddy's real value is shortening repetitive organizational actions. Previously, combining weekly reports, progress sheets, and inspection records into a report took me over an hour on Friday nights. Now, once smoothed out, I get a draft in ten minutes, spending the rest of the time verifying data.
Get one table working first, then talk about auto-generating PPTs.
If you want to try it, don't dump the entire project folder at once. Take the messiest Excel progress sheet and one weekly report, and ask it to organize them into a four-section report. Verify quantities, dates, and responsibility items. If it passes these three checks, consider batch templates and permission-based collaboration.
Physix Frontier