Is DeepSeek Usable After Starting Over?
A friend recommended DeepSeek V4.1 Flash, so I’m testing how usable it actually is. I’ve been using DeepSeek for about two months, mainly for document summarization and customer service drafts. My friend said V4.1 Flash responds faster and supports native multimodal capabilities, effectively integrating image viewing, table reading, and screenshot analysis into the same model. You can think of Flash as the lightweight version, typically offering fast responses and lower prices, suitable for high-frequency calls.
For preparation, I laid out three things: a product requirements document, a screenshot containing a table, and a customer service ticket JSON (structured text format). For comparison, I kept the call logs from the old V4 Flash, throwing the prompts in exactly as they were without secretly tweaking them. DeepSeek’s documentation mentions compatibility with OpenAI and Anthropic API formats, so interface changes are minimal. APIs are the entry points for programs calling models; compatible formats mean much of the old code doesn’t need rewriting.
My first impression upon getting started was convenience. Pure text summaries didn’t require me to break things down meticulously. Previously, V4 Flash often needed me to ask it to list key points first, then expand on them. V4.1 Flash delivers everything in one go, with a more stable structure. Image input is smooth too; tables in screenshots weren’t lost and could be read correctly. Native multimodal means the model doesn’t need to convert images to text first and then process understanding—it can look at images directly. This experience reminded me of early AI products, where users cared more about reducing back-and-forth rounds. Fewer rounds equal lower costs.
But there are plenty of pitfalls. The most obvious is the lack of buffer during switching. Some people in the community complained that switches happen abruptly, with no prior announcement, gray release, or compatibility period. Gray release means switching on a small scale first to give users an adaptation period. One of my ticket summary tasks worked fine, but another Agent chain dependent on the old model’s output got stuck. It didn’t throw an error, but the answer style changed, and downstream classifiers couldn’t handle it. JSON output was also unstable; when I asked it to return only fields, it occasionally added an explanation, causing the downstream parser to crash. I later added a few examples to enforce the format.
From an investor’s perspective, this can’t rely solely on the founder’s halo effect. Regarding valuation logic, rumors suggest DeepSeek has a $45 billion valuation, and Alibaba and Tencent might pay $20 billion for renewal fees. Treat these numbers as clues, not price anchors.
We need to see if the business model can turn model capabilities into stable revenue, such as API call volumes, enterprise migration costs, and whether multimodal scenarios are truly high-frequency. Competitive barriers depend on team execution—can they rebuild from scratch while stabilizing the developer ecosystem? I don’t know this founder personally, but I’ve seen the risks of tech-founder types: strong product capability doesn’t guarantee stable service commitments.
The conclusion is: it depends. It’s suitable for early-stage products, internal tools, teams still finding their scenario, and developers willing to change model names weekly. It’s not suitable for live enterprise applications sensitive to latency and format, with many downstream chains. Selection guides mention that when Flash runs multi-round refine code generation (repeatedly modifying output), latency fluctuations might jump from ±200ms to ±1.8s. I’m not sure if every scenario behaves this way, but my own multi-round tasks did become jitterier.
Physix Frontier