
WorkBuddy Isn't a CRM, But I Used It to Organize Foreign Trade Leads into Actionable Tables
WorkBuddy is only used for lead cleansing in my workflow, turning foreign trade leads into follow-up-ready tables
Recently, I came across an article comparing AI CRM software. Honestly, my first reaction was a headache. The most realistic leads on my client's side look like this: half-sentence "how much" in WhatsApp, blurry phone numbers on exhibition business cards, the same company appearing multiple times in Excel exports from Tendata, and emails cluttered with auto-replies. CRMs manage deals, but if the input is messy, no matter how smart it is, it just helps you organize the mess into a process.
That 2026 AI CRM roundup lists automated follow-ups, scheduling, and reporting as core selling points. I agree with the direction, but I have a different view on the order.
Let's clarify the scope. In this post, "using WorkBuddy for about a month" refers to the continuous usage duration since formally integrating it into the foreign trade lead organization process. The "three months" mentioned in the previous post After Three Months Using WorkBuddy was a broad description of a lead organization cycle in the old draft, not equivalent to the current continuous usage duration. To avoid confusion, this post focuses solely on the experience of the last month.
For me, it acts more like a data organization hub. It doesn't replace the CRM or do sales forecasting; its job is to tidy up Excel files, emails, screenshots, and meeting notes first. You can understand CRM as a Customer Relationship Management system responsible for recording leads, assigning follow-ups, reminding about quotes, and tracking conversion rates.
AI CRMs typically connect to email, forms, and call logs, focusing on process. WorkBuddy, in my case, primarily consumes local folders, multiple spreadsheets, and exported text, focusing on cleansing. CRMs inherently have roles and approvals; with WorkBuddy, I'm actually more cautious—I don't throw raw business data into a task for full automation. CRMs provide reports and reminders; WorkBuddy gives me a base table ready for further processing.
If you're a first-time user, don't think of it as a complete system right away. Now, I only feed it a week's worth of scattered leads: half-sentence "how much" from WhatsApp, photos of exhibition business cards, Excel exports from Tendata, and email export texts. The task goal is narrow: let it identify company name, country, product, source, last contact time, and status.
In this version, I standardize several fixed fields: customer_name, country, product, source, last_contact, status. Among these, customer_name is the client company name, source is the lead origin, and last_contact is the last communication date. I wrote strict instructions in the task: extract only from the original text, do not fill in gaps; convert countries to two-letter codes if identifiable, otherwise write unknown; standardize last contact time to YYYY-MM-DD; merge duplicate companies but preserve source differences.
Then, let it output to a separate directory, e.g., 01_clean, without overwriting original files. Once the task runs, the interface generates a preview table. The expected result is one lead per row, with most fields populated, and uncertain items marked for review. I usually export a CSV for the business team to check.
Here's a pitfall I hit last week. When WorkBuddy processes emails, auto-replies are easily mistaken for valid communications. For example, a customer's vacation auto-reply was identified as a response. Later, I added a rule to the task: Any email containing "Out of Office," "Do Not Reply," "auto-reply," or "system notification" should only retain the sender and date, mark status as no_action, and exclude it from the follow-up pool. Honestly, this is a very common trap in foreign trade. If not handled, sales reps will waste hours making useless calls.
Regarding permissions and collaboration, I divide it like this: 00_inbox is upload-only for admins; business members can only view 01_clean; sales supervisors review pending confirmations, and after confirmation, I import according to the CRM template. My environment might not suit everyone, but the principle remains: Do not let it fully automate touching core business data until permissions, directories, and templates are clearly defined.
I only run it once a week. Friday afternoon for organizing new leads, Saturday morning for spot-checking 20 entries, writing typos, duplicates, and unknowns back into the rules, and importing into the CRM on Monday. This way, WorkBuddy doesn't make decisions for me nor judge deal probability. It just compresses the dirtiest cleansing work into a follow-up-ready base table.
Honestly, talking about AI CRM in 2026 often turns into discussing automated closing. But having done foreign trade for ten years, I know closing isn't automatic. The core value of WorkBuddy for me is transforming chaotic foreign trade leads into a usable base table.
Physix Frontier