Don't Rush to Hype AI-Powered Data Querying
Just saw BlaBlaCar discussing how they built an AI-ready data universe. The core idea is cleaning up data domains, permissions, definitions, and analysis workflows first. I use RSS and Kimi K3 to categorize such cases, and the more I read, the more I feel that the moat for enterprise AI data products often lies outside the model.
They mentioned that Data Copilot securely connects to BigQuery, allowing product managers to self-serve data queries. This scenario is tempting—less waiting for scheduling, less nagging analysts. But the next sentence is more critical: Autonomy without a safety net is a recipe for bad decisions. In ride-sharing, if any metric definition for orders, supply, pricing, or city expansion is wrong, the business hurts. So, establish data contracts, audits, and traceability before opening the gates to business teams.
When I used to do Web3 and AI startups, old habits remained—I'd always ask if this direction could issue tokens and if the tokenomics were reasonable. Now I see, it can't. Token incentives won't solve self-service data analysis. It needs permission models, lineage, metric definitions, and failure accountability. These things aren't sexy; they're even messy. But once done well, customers will pay for stability, compliance, and labor savings.
Advice for startup teams is simple. Don't build an AI portal that answers anything first. Build a narrow-domain Copilot that answers fixed questions. For example, only answer "Which city had the fastest drop in supply this week," and then reveal the tables, fields, permissions, and update times behind the answer. Verifiability is more important than answerability. Without data governance experience, post-sales operational capabilities, and billable service processes, just wrapping a chat box will quickly get you killed by business demands.
I recommend this direction, but only for those willing to do the dirty work. Not recommended for those wanting quick money. Looking ahead, enterprises won't pay for the word "AI"; they'll only pay to avoid taking the blame.
📌 This article is compiled from Hacker News. Original text: https://medium.com/blablacar/building-an-ai-ready-data-universe-at-blablacar-cb15fbc42020
Copyright belongs to the original authors. This is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.
Physix Frontier