After a month with WorkBuddy, I think it needs a verifiable intermediate layer most
Here's the conclusion upfront. AI office tools like WorkBuddy currently lack nothing more than the ability to turn piles of material into a beautiful summary; what they lack most is the ability to break conclusions back down into traceable chains of responsibility. I've used WorkBuddy for about a month, and I only started touching Skills yesterday. Originally, I just wanted to organize client emails, meeting transcripts, and ticket screenshots into a handoff-ready to-do list. After running several multi-Skill chains, I became certain of one thing: Without a verifiable intermediate layer, the more automated office AI becomes, the easier it is to package incorrect information as team consensus.
Yesterday I wrote about WorkBuddy getting stuck during multi-Skill chaining, suspecting it might be due to quota limits or tasks being too long. After running a few real collaborative scenarios over the last two days, my thinking has shifted slightly. Getting stuck isn't necessarily just about quotas; it might be because tasks are broken down too naturally linguistically. Email extraction, meeting normalization, ticket status mapping, and to-do generation each look like independent Skills, but they pass loose text and tables between them, making it hard to use them as stable contracts. Success on the first run doesn't guarantee reproducibility next time. When you hand it off to a colleague, they don't know which step to review.
Last night at 11 PM, I was still processing client feedback. I had over thirty emails, several meeting transcripts, a few ticket screenshots, and exports from two client group chats on hand. I didn't want to work overtime, but the information sources were too fragmented. I've tried tools like OpenRefine, Python, and Hexomatic; cleaning and scraping solve part of the problem, but you have to build the pipeline yourself. WorkBuddy's value lies in making the entry point feel like office work rather than development. So I threw this batch of files in, not asking it for a customer satisfaction conclusion initially, but only requiring classification and extraction.
Let me insert a note about Archify here. Yesterday I read an article about Archify, which allows AI Agents to generate verifiable architecture diagrams within conversations. The core is a Typed JSON IR intermediate layer, where every change undergoes schema validation, returning machine-readable repair prompts upon failure.
I think this approach is crucial for WorkBuddy. Office collaboration is more fragmented than architecture diagrams, with more diverse information sources. If we still let the model directly output final deliverables, the cost of errors will be high.
Archify's value lies beyond the diagram itself. It breaks generation into a verifiable structural intermediate layer.
So this time, I changed how I use WorkBuddy. Previously, I always tried to state everything at once: organize client feedback into action items, tally by owner, and generate conclusions for the boss. Now, I first ask it to generate a JSON/CSV draft with fixed fields, including source_type, source_id, channel, customer, event_time, issue, suggested_action, status, evidence, confidence, and review_status. I started using JSON Schema about a month ago and have tried Pydantic, so I know field contracts aren't mystical. WorkBuddy is responsible for filling content from emails, transcripts, and screenshots into these fields, not for judging whether a customer needs escalation. This step is key; it demotes the AI from judge to data entry clerk. Clerks make mistakes, but at least the mistakes are visible.
Specifically, I broke it down into four steps. Step one: Let WorkBuddy classify information sources, separating emails, meeting transcripts, ticket screenshots, and group chat exports. This step was more stable than I expected; it identified most correctly, though two skewed ticket screenshots were classified as 'unknown' and needed manual adjustment. Step two: Extract fields. Problems started emerging here: times were in different formats, some emails put customer names in the body, and some screenshots recognized statuses as symbols. Step three: Instead of rerunning everything, I asked WorkBuddy to output only rows that violated field rules. This saved a lot of time. Previously, one error meant a full rerun, which got slower and made it harder to pinpoint errors. Step four: Aggregation. I asked it to generate a to-do queue by customer and status, listing rows where review_status wasn't 'passed' separately.
My testing showed that for over thirty files, setting up field rules took about twenty minutes, running WorkBuddy took fifteen to twenty minutes, and manually reviewing exception rows took about ten minutes. Total time was around forty minutes, saving at least half the time compared to previous manual copying, screenshot recognition, and status alignment. Previously, this dirty work often dragged on until after 9 PM. Now I can sleep earlier, but the premise is that I don't accept direct final conclusions from it. Where WorkBuddy truly saves your life is turning unhandoffable fragments into traceable evidence.
However, WorkBuddy has flaws. Its main issue is still a heavy black-box feeling. I've used n8n for about a month and understand APIs and webhooks. For the same extraction task, n8n prints out the status of each step, Python throws exceptions, and OpenRefine leaves operation traces. WorkBuddy is smoother to use, but when results are wrong, it's hard to determine if the issue is file parsing, model understanding, field mapping, or Skill chaining order. I just started with Skills yesterday and am indeed a novice. But even as a novice, I can feel that multi-Skill chaining relying solely on natural language handoffs will eventually crash. It's like a relay race carrying boxes: everyone says they finished their leg, but in the end, a box is missing, and no one knows where it was lost.
Compared to similar tools, my judgment is that WorkBuddy isn't suitable for competing with BI dashboards on visualization, nor with scraping tools on edge cases. It fits best as the first line of evidence preprocessing before office information enters the collaboration system. BI tools are good for visualizing already clean data; web scrapers are good for structured pages; cleaning tools are good for column transformations. WorkBuddy's advantage is a natural entry point, handling miscellaneous tasks like emails, meetings, tickets, and screenshots. Its disadvantage is that verification, auditing, and error attribution aren't robust enough. If WorkBuddy continues focusing only on generating pretty things, I'll consider it a regression. If it builds out data contracts between Skills, validation rules, and failure logs, then it can truly enter enterprise workflows.
This also affects my view on who it suits. It's suitable for people tormented daily by emails, meetings, tickets, and screenshots, who want to delegate repetitive extraction, classification, and formatting. It's not suitable for people who want to generate boss-pleasing conclusions with one sentence, nor for those unwilling to review. Many teams treat AI office tools as automation, but the most dangerous part of automation is that errors are automatically amplified. Especially in customer success, operations, and project collaboration, one misidentified time or missed owner can skew the entire schedule. If WorkBuddy can implement exception rows, missing fields, source files, confidence scores, and manual confirmation statuses, its value will increase significantly.
From the Archify article, I believe future office AI tools will move towards end-to-end generation of verifiable intermediate layers, chasing less on final deliverables. Architecture diagrams need JSON IR; office collaboration needs field schemas, source trails, exception queues, and partial retries. WorkBuddy already has prototypes for file processing and Skills, but it needs to shift from "I generated it" to "I can prove where I failed to generate it correctly." If this gap is filled, it can evolve from a smarter office software into a collaboration evidence pipeline.
Looking ahead, I guess the competitive focus for office AI tools in the coming year will shift from pretty PPTs to traceable to-dos. If WorkBuddy keeps stacking Skills without unified input/output contracts, it will end up as a pile of entry points that look capable but aren't. If it standardizes extraction results from emails, meetings, tickets, and images, leaving source and status for each field, then it deserves the title of an office efficiency tool.
I don't want to hear empty business slogans or vague claims about efficiency anymore. I just want to know about last night's batch of client feedback: Which to-do was wrong? Which email, meeting segment, or screenshot caused the error? Can I rerun just that one item? If WorkBuddy gets this right, I'll keep using it.
Physix Frontier