AI risks are too abstract; break them down into checklists first
This article is for reviewing business system launches. If you want to break down AI risks into a checkable table, give it a try. If you're just looking for scary stories about AI risks, this might be a buzzkill. Technical feasibility is solid, and client willingness to pay is clear. Clients are buying responsibility boundaries.
When I saw the HN thread "If I wanted to maximize AI risk," my first reaction was to turn it into a solution. After doing enterprise AI solutions for a while, I've learned that risk terms are most dangerous when they stay as adjectives. Last week, I turned this into a small hands-on exercise, using Excel, RAG, Claude Code, and the newly picked-up Codex CLI to build a reverse risk checklist. It feels more like process evaluation.
The operation is simple. Open Excel—I've only been using it for four days. Create a blank workbook named "AI Risk Health Check." The first version has six columns: Scenario, Data Source, Automated Action, Reversibility, Responsible Role, Evidence. Don't rush to fill in conclusions; set up the fields first. I ran through a few scenarios, like auto-replies for customer service tickets, auto-converting meeting minutes to tasks, and auto-generating contract summaries. Fill in facts for each column first.
Then use RAG. RAG (Retrieval-Augmented Generation) feeds documents to the model so it retrieves info before answering, rather than hallucinating from memory. I've only used RAG for six days, so I'm no expert. I built a small library with MIT AI Risk Initiative case classifications, IBM risk lists, and governance materials from Thomson Reuters and Riskonnect. I asked it the original question: "If I wanted to maximize AI risk, what should a company do?" It gave me a list of anti-patterns, including giving models excessive permissions, not logging human decisions, triggering actions automatically, relying solely on self-assessment, and treating user complaints as noise.
This step was surprising. It broke down dangers into verifiable actions instead of stopping at "AI is dangerous." I immediately converted these anti-patterns into positive checks: Are permissions minimized? Can actions be rolled back? Are logs retained? Where are the human approval points? Who is responsible if errors occur?
Next, use Claude Code, the programming assistant in the terminal. I've been using it for a month. I input requirements to convert the six columns into a launch review checklist (a pre-launch item-by-item confirmation list) and output Markdown. The structure it generated was neater than expected, divided into five blocks: Data, Permissions, Output, Feedback, Responsibility. A pleasant surprise was that it added evidence fields, requiring storage of model versions, prompt versions, and approval screenshots. There were hiccups too—it initially mixed up hallucinations and privilege escalation, so I had to manually fix it.
Then I tried Codex CLI, another command-line coding assistant. I only started using this yesterday, so I'm barely familiar with it. I asked it to write a script to export the Excel checklist into a review form. First attempt failed due to path permissions—the output directory wasn't writable. After fixing the command, it worked. The bottleneck was mainly context. The clearer the field definitions, the more helpful it acts; vague definitions make it act like an eager intern who needs direction correction.
Pros: It turns mysticism into tables. When 272 experts discuss the most urgent AI risks, the focus lands on current data, security, and automated decision-making. Tables break these down into pre-launch checkable items. It has commercial value. The main concern for enterprises adopting AI is unclear responsibility. A checklist transforms "we deployed a large model" into "which steps must retain human oversight." Implementation cost is low. No new tools purchased; existing Excel, document libraries, and coding assistants suffice.
Cons: It depends on input material. When the RAG was first set up, cases and vendor marketing got mixed together, making search results look like ads sometimes. It easily becomes compliance formalism. If fields are created but nobody fills them, it's useless. Not beginner-friendly. Terms like permissions, logs, rollback, and human approval are understood individually, but combined, nobody wants to read them. Cross-departmental coordination is hard too. Security, legal, business, data—whoever signs off takes the blame; models can't solve that.
My judgment: It depends. Suitable for enterprise architects, product managers, security leads, and AI implementation consultants. Good for teams automating customer service, sales, R&D, or finance. Not suitable for individual users just wanting prompts, nor for organizations treating risk as PR talk. The real question is: Who sees the error when it happens? If a table can get the boss, business, and security teams to sit together and clarify responsibility boundaries, then start with one table.
📌 Compiled from Hacker News. Original: https://twitter.com/kellerjordan0/status/2097526284918419662
Copyright belongs to the original authors. This is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.
Physix Frontier