AI office agents start charging: Is it still worth it for regular users?
A friend recommended the paid version of an office AI Agent, so I'm trying to see if it's actually good. First, an explanation: Agents can connect documents, meetings, and to-dos, breaking down "help me write a weekly report" into finding materials, summarizing, and generating drafts. Recently, a TMTPost article discussed Chinese big tech moving from free periods to monetization, with ByteDance, Alibaba, Tencent, Baidu, and Kingsoft all promoting office AI. My friend's company happens to have an enterprise trial, so I treated it like a gateway and integrated it for a week.
Day 1: Entry point was more off-putting than features. On Day 1, I didn't ask if it could write; I looked at the entry point. It hangs on the left sidebar of enterprise docs, next to a small assistant. Clicking it requires authorization to read docs, meetings, and contacts; some even require binding calendars. This interface looks a lot like smart home gateway network configuration—on the surface, it says "Connect your office data," but behind it is a string of permissions.
I habitually asked myself: Do users need this scenario? Is the installation threshold high? For individuals, the threshold isn't low. You just want it to organize meeting minutes, but first you have to confirm which files it can see, if it can sync to the team, and if it reads email. The permission explanations aren't complex, but ordinary users might not dare click.
The surprise was the first generation. I asked it to organize to-dos from recent project groups into a weekly report. It really broke it down by project, risk, and next steps, and marked time points from meetings. It saved me effort compared to manually scrolling chat logs. However, it wasn't connected to the approval system. When I asked it to check procurement progress, it could only prompt "Related documents unauthorized." At that moment, I felt it was stuck because the ecosystem wasn't open.
Day 3: It started saving me manual work, but status didn't flow back. By Day 3, I started using it frequently. In the morning product meeting, I threw the recording summary in and asked it to break down task items. Users definitely need this scenario. The most annoying part of previous meeting minutes was assigning tasks and deadlines after the meeting. It lists "Who is responsible, What to do, When," and converts them into document to-dos.
My testing shows it suits three types of work: People with many meetings can link recordings, minutes, and to-dos; People with many documents can summarize, format, and generate weekly reports; Team leads can split tasks by member.
But drawbacks are obvious. Cross-app fragmentation: It can read docs and meetings, but external emails, design drafts, and client group records aren't included, so I still have to copy-paste. Feedback loop instability: I asked it to revise a proposal. It generated a draft quickly but didn't sync the version and original task status back. After a while, it asked me if I wanted to recreate the document. This is like a gateway device executing successfully but status not flowing back; users have to click again. After moving from free to paid, individual user value is diluted. Big tech now wants enterprise seats, team spaces, and data governance; saving individuals two minutes is just a side effect.
After a week, it feels more like a team tool. After a week, the trial quota ran out, and the page put team spaces, permission trails, and more app connections behind the paywall. I understand this business logic: Office Agents need to connect to enterprise data, so security, permissions, and management cost money. For individuals, if you only occasionally write weekly reports, free Q&A tools are enough; for enterprises, unifying docs, meetings, and tasks into one entry point is indeed useful.
My final conclusion is: It depends. Suitable for teams that already have a full suite of office platforms and large volumes of meetings and documents; Not suitable for those who just want to occasionally polish emails and worry about privacy. Ordinary users should first ask if the installation threshold is high, and not get swept up by "AI helps you work."
I've tucked away the personal entry point for now; I'll discuss the team version at next week's meeting.
📌 This article is compiled from TMTPost. Original: https://www.tmtpost.com/8132164.html
Copyright belongs to the original authors. This is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.
Physix Frontier