
Are South Korea's Free Public AI Beta Portals Usable?
I messed around with the South Korean government's free AI public beta entry point over the weekend and hit quite a few pitfalls. It started with reading a few reports. The reports said South Korea is promoting "AI for All," preparing to provide generative AI (models that can chat, write, and summarize) for free to all citizens, with promotions mentioning unlimited tokens. Tokens are roughly units by which models charge or limit usage based on word count. Officials estimated that over 20 million Koreans have already used the free version. I wanted to see if the public entry point was truly inclusive as advertised. I'm currently preparing for AI algorithm job interviews. A friend studying in Seoul lent me his test phone number for verification, which allowed me to get a foothold.
The preparation phase was actually the most troublesome. The page is in Korean, the entry point says "Public Beta," and identity verification is required. Public beta means trying it out on a small scale first, and features might still change. I initially got stuck on the captcha, waiting nearly two minutes to receive it, only to be told upon entry that test eligibility wasn't open yet. Later, switching to my friend's mobile hotspot worked. The interface is quite restrained: one large input box, a few example questions, and none of those flashy membership pop-ups. This is friendlier than many commercial apps.
Once I got started, I tried three questions. I asked it to explain "World Models," write a self-introduction for an interview, and compare public news about two car companies investing in chips. The first answer was relatively smooth, well-structured, and cited sources and policy notes. The second was a bit templated, like rehashing resume jargon, lacking personalization. The third was conservative. When involving companies and investments, it provided a very steady summary of public information, daring not to make judgments. This reflects the characteristics of government projects: transparency and compliance come first, so there's less surprise factor.
Pitfalls weren't just about logging in. Later, when I asked algorithm questions in English, it mixed Chinese, Korean, and English in its responses, which was tiring to read. I've recently solved 300 LeetCode problems and wanted it to give insights in an interview style. It didn't directly give the optimal solution, starting instead with boundaries and input/output.
Will these types of questions be probed further? I think algorithm interviews will still ask, but this public entry point feels more like a science popularization assistant than a problem-solving coach. Another pitfall is stability. I asked seven or eight questions in a row, and one froze for half a minute before returning results. Free is obviously great. But it's not a stable API, so don't think too much about engineering usage.
Pros: Free, simple entry point, friendly to ordinary people. Transparent prompts also make someone like me, preparing for interviews, feel secure. Cons are obvious. Eligibility and verification block overseas users; unfamiliarity with the Korean interface makes it difficult; answers are conservative; complex tasks require self-directed follow-ups. If you are in Korea and can complete verification, I'd use it as a daily Q&A tool; forget about using it for production systems. For those torn over offers, it's more like an observation sample. Governments turning AI into public service compete on who can provide stable, low-barrier access.
Physix Frontier