After One Month with WorkBuddy, I'm Less Inclined to Use It for Visualization
Today I scrolled through a visual AI tool navigation page. It was bustling with natural language chart generation, mind maps, data dashboards, conversational BI—a long list of entries. My first reaction was to close the page. Those tools certainly have value, but I had just finished overtime, my eyes were blurry, and seeing "massive utility" just tired me out. What office tools should do is turn the pile of messy files on my desk into computable data.
This judgment has grown stronger after using WorkBuddy for about a month.
Last night at 9:30 PM, the client dumped another zip file in the group chat. Inside were a dozen files: PDF statements, Excel acceptance forms, CSV payment details, and a few skewed invoice screenshots. Fields were chaotic: dates appeared as 2026/9/3, September 3rd, or Excel serial number 46000; amounts had thousands separators, null values, negatives; supplier names varied between "XX Tech" and "XX Tech (East China)." The scariest part of this job is finishing the charts only to realize the underlying numbers were wrong.
Previously, I would unzip, rename, and clean fields with OpenRefine. I tried OpenRefine for a week recently; cleaning and merging are indeed useful, but it solves the problem of "data already exported." After that, checking anomalies in Excel, merging in Pandas, generating charts in Quick BI. The whole process took about forty minutes in my tests. Forty minutes sounds short, but it's 9:30 PM, your eyes hurt, and you just want someone to take the work off your hands.
Later, I started using WorkBuddy for the same task. The workflow is crude but effective. Create an isolated folder, copy the client's raw files in, ensuring it doesn't touch the source directory. Then give it a simple JSON Schema, asking it to unify the files into one table with fixed fields: date, supplier, amount, tax, voucher number, attachment name, anomaly description. It handles reading PDFs, Excels, and CSVs, gives results for screenshot invoices, and finally outputs a CSV and an anomaly list.
My run took about twelve minutes for the first version. The first version wasn't entirely correct. One invoice screenshot had a misidentified amount, one supplier alias wasn't merged, and one date format wasn't standardized. These errors were all in the anomaly list, which I manually fixed in five minutes. Total time was about seventeen minutes. That's more than half saved compared to before. Saving ten minutes is life-saving, especially after 9 PM.
Here's a counter-intuitive point. I actually don't want WorkBuddy to make visualization its main selling point.
Of course, it can generate charts. Simple bar charts, line graphs, summary tables—it producing a result isn't strange. But if it constantly advertises its ability to draw pretty charts, I'd be wary. Because in my workflow, the time-consuming part is the journey from files to usable data. Visualization is just the last step; the dirty work beforehand is what kills you.
So now I categorize these tools into three layers. The first layer is file entry: who can ingest PDFs, images, tables, email attachments, and group files while recognizing formats. The second layer is cleaning and constraints: can it output by field, preserve anomalies, and ensure raw data isn't secretly altered? The third layer is visualization: plotting already organized data into charts.
Today's visual AI tool navigation is mostly buzzing about the third layer. Tools like Changtu, Dycharts, DataEase, and Power BI each have their place. If my data is already clean and I just want the boss to see a trend, I might use something like Changtu; it generates charts quickly and expresses intuitively. If I have a database and need permissions, dashboards, and refreshes, I'd use DataEase or Quick BI, which are closer to BI. I used Quick BI for about three weeks; it's suitable for after data is ingested, not for tidying up messy attachments for you.
WorkBuddy's position isn't there. It's more like an entry point for dirty work.
This judgment is blunt, but I think it's right. For data analysts, finance, operations, and project support staff who handle client files, internal spreadsheets, and email attachments daily, WorkBuddy's greatest value is turning a dozen PDFs into a pivotable table. For those who just need a reporting chart, it might feel heavy because you still have to manage permissions, formats, and output results; direct visualization tools are simpler.
So I dislike calling WorkBuddy an omnipotent office assistant. It hasn't reached that level. Its strength lies in file organization, spreadsheet processing, document reading, and outputting intermediate results like CSVs that downstream tools can use. Its weakness is complex metric logic. For example, if I ask it to calculate gross margin, it might misunderstand the cost field. You can't expect AI to guess metric definitions correctly every time. I learned my lesson later: let it do one thing at a time—standardize fields first, then calculate metrics separately.
I wrote a few days ago that WorkBuddy shouldn't connect to group chats immediately; lock it in a folder first. Today, I stand by that. I'm trying WeCom these days, letting it receive notifications only, not auto-processing group files. The reason is simple: once permissions are open, you don't know what it touched. The easiest way office AI breaks is when it touches things it shouldn't.
My current testing rules are strict. Raw files are read-only, result files are stored separately, deletion actions require manual confirmation, and outputs must include an anomaly list. It can give me a table, but it must tell me which rows weren't recognized, which amounts are missing, and which dates conflict. I dare not use an AI-generated table without an anomaly list. People working overtime fear nothing more than something looking clean on the surface but full of traps inside.
Another point: tools like WorkBuddy work best with JSON Schemas or clear field templates. I've used JSON for about a month and increasingly feel that AI office tools shouldn't be too free. Freedom means instability. If you tell it to "organize this," it might give you an explanation, a table, a Markdown file, or something you can't continue using. Give it a schema, and it knows where the boundaries are. For efficiency tools, boundaries are life.
Looking at trends, visual AI tool navigations will become more common. Single-point generation is oversaturated. Tools that can draw charts, make PPTs, write weekly reports, and summarize PDFs are everywhere. What's scarcer is connected workflows. Meeting recordings turned into to-dos, to-dos synced to task lists, tasks linked to attachments, attachments auto-archived, weekly reports auto-summarized. In this chain, visualization is just the tail end. If WorkBuddy keeps going towards "I can draw more charts," I don't see it as progress. It should move towards "I can string together files, spreadsheets, emails, tasks, and logs, with every step auditable."
I don't deny visualization is useful. Showing trends to business units, reporting to bosses, syncing with teams—a clear chart can save half an hour of meetings. But that's after the data stands firm. Before data stands firm, the prettier the chart, the more dangerous. Pie charts can lie because they can package a wrong denominator elegantly.
My standard for evaluating an AI office tool is narrow: does it reduce the steps from receiving files to usable data? In my scenario, WorkBuddy definitely reduces them. It took me from desperate to tolerable. The twenty-plus minutes it saves means I can shut down the computer earlier at night. This value is more real than another chart template.
If you're considering WorkBuddy, my advice is to try it with a real file package first. Don't look at whether it can make PPTs or big screens. Best if it's the kind that screwed you over last week, containing PDFs, Excels, screenshots, with messy fields. Don't connect to groups or emails yet; create a test folder and copy source files in. Then ask it to output a CSV with fixed fields plus an anomaly list. Run it three times, record how many minutes each takes, how many errors were fixed, and if it can eventually plug into Excel or Quick BI.
If it doesn't save ten minutes across three runs, don't integrate it into your workflow yet. If it stably turns dirty files into usable tables, consider the next step. Office tools are meant to take the hits for humans. No matter how thick the navigation page is, it can't replace that bag of statements at 9:30 PM.
Physix Frontier