
Buying Compute: The Real Risk Isn't GPU Shortage, It's Cash Flow Debt
I spent two days testing credit assessments when buying AI compute for my lab. The reason was simple: our group needed to fine-tune a vision model, and lab funding was tight. I used Vast.ai for 4 weeks. The interface was clear, billed hourly, suitable for small experiments. But once tasks stretched to a week, the issue shifted from "do we have GPUs?" to "can we pay later?"
I designed the experiment using ResNet-50 fine-tuning (a common vision model), following the compute-optimal scaling approach from Hoffmann et al. (2022), converting GPU hours, data volume, and labor into cost. The conclusion was somewhat counterintuitive: the model itself isn't expensive; what's expensive is having to put money out upfront. So-called "credit" is the deferred payment limit the supplier gives you. Prepaid platforms don't need credit approval but require upfront payment. Enterprise clouds allow monthly billing, but qualifications, invoices, and contracts take forever.
I tried two procurement channels. Vast.ai is still prepaid; you can see the deduction rate on the balance page, but there's no entry for credit. Another enterprise cloud had credit limits and payment terms, but required uploading qualifications, and the approval cycle was unclear. I tracked a few items on a dashboard and casually used Claude to organize them into a checklist, including prepayment ratio, payment terms, refund clauses, Service Level Agreements (SLAs), and invoice types. I added two metrics: capital occupation cost and interruption cost. The former is funds tied up by prepayment; the latter is the re-run cost caused by training interruptions or contract disputes. The prepaid process is intuitive, but credit terms are opaque. The method is crude, but more reliable than just looking at price per GPU-hour.
Short tasks are fine. I ran several vision experiments with a few GPUs for a few hours; prepaid worked smoothly. The surprise came after creating the checklist: I realized cheap platforms aren't necessarily cheap. Refunds, delayed invoices, and non-refundable deposits all inflate the real cost. The bottleneck is obvious. Long-cycle tasks need stable resources, but university procurement struggles to get high credit limits. Public reports mention massive AI debt, indicating this isn't just a lab procurement issue. My judgment is: it depends. For students doing ablations or experiments finishing within a few days, prepaid platforms suffice. For multi-node, multi-GPU, long-term training, it's best to negotiate credit and contracts first. Next step: I plan to hand the checklist to the procurement office, asking about payment terms before comparing GPU prices. I'm fairly certain about the trend: in the future, the core barrier to buying AI compute will shift from queuing for GPUs to credit review. This topic doesn't make for a good paper, but if reviewers ask about experimental costs, I'll include this page.
📌 This article is compiled from Hacker News. Original source: https://twitter.com/gpugene/status/2096427973893411312
Copyright belongs to the original author. This is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.
Physix Frontier