Community Discussion · Tracks

Does WorkBuddy's Open Ecosystem Save Time?

Can't Finish Reading PapersCan't Finish Reading PapersSep 52026/09/05 42 views

I messed around with WorkBuddy over the weekend and hit quite a few pitfalls. I originally just wanted to turn a few arXiv (preprint platform) documents into literature cards and check out its newly opened ecosystem entrance. The open platform allows apps, experts, Skills, connectors, and hardware capabilities to be hooked up. Skill is a capability package, Connector is a connector. I didn't understand the concept at first, but later realized it connects external services like cloud drives, docs, and search into AI Agents (assistants that can call tools).

I tried two paths. The first used WorkBuddy's official entrance and ecosystem connectors directly. After logging in, the homepage shows Apps, Experts, Skills, Connectors, Hardware. I clicked Connectors, searched for Docs, and a bunch of similarly named capabilities popped up. Here comes the pitfall: it doesn't automatically read local files; it actually reads authorized spaces. I switched twice before finding the entrance to upload local documents. After uploading, I inputted "Extract research questions, methods, conclusions, limitations from each document, and mark suspicious citations," and clicked Run. The result area first showed parsing progress, then cards appeared. It took me about ten-plus minutes from authorization to results, with the first few minutes stuck on selecting entrances and permissions.

The second path was a local open-source chat entrance I wrote last week. First convert documents to text, then feed them to the model. This solution is dumber, requiring dependency installation and handling garbled text, but logs are visible. With the same set of documents, it took over twenty minutes to stabilize card output, but reuse was faster afterwards. The benefit is knowing which segment the model read; the downside is that terminology explanation, layout, and export all need manual tuning.

What surprised me about WorkBuddy was how smooth the card organization was. It breaks documents into fixed fields and adds notes like "This section looks more like background than contribution." For newcomers entering a lab, this is faster than staring blankly at documents. Officially, the ecosystem has over 100 partners, 30+ hardware brands, and 30+ industry applications. My feeling is that there are more entrances, but choice cost has risen. For narrow tasks like reading papers, you don't necessarily need to rely on the ecosystem.

There were plenty of pitfalls too. Long documents get truncated. One of my papers' appendices got cut into two segments, resulting in summaries based only on the first half. Also, citation page numbers are unreliable. It said "The author mentions sample bias on page 5," but when I checked, it wasn't there. This is dangerous for writing reviews. Permission explanations aren't beginner-friendly either. Connector authorization scopes are written lightly; without careful reading, you might hand over the entire space. Later, I created a new empty document space, putting only papers in it, to feel a bit safer.

So the conclusion is: it depends. Suitable for those who don't want to mess with local environments and whose tasks fall within document organization, meeting minutes, and data retrieval. Also suitable for using it as a question generator, letting AI break down concepts you don't understand into search terms. Not suitable for those needing strict privacy, auditability, and citations precise to the page number, nor for those expecting it to read the full text for you.

My advice is to try small tasks first, like three papers or one meeting record. Don't connect your entire knowledge base. First clarify which space the connector reads, then verify outputs item by item. Ecosystem openness indeed increases entrances, but the easier it is to connect, the more you need to manage boundaries, permissions, and output quality.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Production Line Veteran

Whether it saves time or not aside, has it actually run on a production line? Don't talk about open ecosystems until you've kept the false positive rate under 0.3%.

Is Operator Fusion Done?

I disagree that "an open ecosystem saves time." Connector configuration and permission approvals are the real time sinks. I've built similar Agent pipelines before, and debugging interface mappings alone wasted half a day. Local scripts may be dumb but they're controllable; this black-box ecosystem actually increases uncertainty in complex document processing. Don't get hoodwinked by buzzwords.