World Models Disappear After Training: Will This Come Up in Interviews?
Community Discussion · Policy

World Models Disappear After Training: Will This Come Up in Interviews?

Shua Ti ZhongShua Ti ZhongSep 52026/09/05 99 views

Last night, I used WorkBuddy to export interview notes to Markdown, and the output node almost failed to save again. Later, I changed variable names to English with underscores and removed spaces from paths, and finally, it worked. While organizing the "World Models" section, I saw this ActEffect article from QbitAI. My first reaction was that it hit right at the heart of my concerns. If an interviewer asks how embodied intelligence lands in reality, can I recite fewer buzzwords and talk more about the implementation process?

This model is a bit rebellious. During training, it accompanies the robot for a long time, specifically observing what consequences the actions proposed by the robot cause, and then turning those consequences into feedback for policy optimization. But when it's time to actually work, it exits the deployment chain. When the robot executes tasks, it doesn't need to continue expanding the future or search for candidate actions on-site. In the short term, this is very practical. One heavy computation step is removed from the deployment phase, inference burden is lighter, and when robots are replicated to more workstations, computing costs don't balloon along with it.

I used WeatherNext for four weeks and also tinkered with traditional numerical forecast models. The biggest takeaway from that period was that the roles forecast models play in training and inference can be completely different. During training, you can stuff physics equations, data biases, and error feedback into the model to teach it what is reasonable. But during deployment, if you still force the edge side to run a complete heavy simulation, many scenarios simply can't handle it. ActEffect is somewhat like asking "why did the action fail" in advance during training, compressing the answer into the policy. During deployment, it no longer asks on-site but directly follows the trained intuition.

However, I'm not entirely reassured. World models exiting doesn't mean the problems disappear. Being able to check consequences in the training ground implies it has seen many states and actions. But real machines always have latency, calibration errors, desktop reflections, and object slippage. What looks like just "dirty data" in the pipeline might result in misaligned actions in the robot's hands. I previously built a framework to break down the commercialization logic of an AI company and encountered a similar situation: once the framework is built, the terminology makes sense, but stability is often determined by boundary conditions. What are ActEffect's boundary conditions? News articles might not go into detail. Will interviews ask this? I think so, focusing on how you prove the policy remains stable out-of-distribution.

In the long term, world models might become more like training infrastructure, not needing to be online forever like chat models. They are more like exam halls, validators, and stress test benches. Policies are repeatedly scored by them during training, and during deployment, they retreat to the background, or even don't enter the deployment flow at all. Viewed this way, the relationship between spatial intelligence and embodied intelligence changes slightly. At the end of July, I wrote a post arguing that spatial intelligence is the endgame of embodied intelligence, thinking robots needed to understand space before working. My view has shifted slightly now: understanding space doesn't necessarily require a permanently online world model; it might rely on compressing spatial consequences into action policies during the training phase. The endgame is robots no longer needing to rethink the world with every inference.

This is also where I'm conflicted about recent offers. Pure algorithm roles love asking about model structures, loss functions, and optimizers; implementation-focused roles prefer asking about compute power, latency, replication costs, and fault recovery. Designs like ActEffect are friendlier to implementation roles.

At least it answers an engineering question: Can expensive thinking be done during training, leaving cheap execution to the real machine during deployment? If the real machine is stable and computing resources don't balloon when replicating workstations, it can move from paper concept to production line. As a fresh master's graduate, I've solved about 300 LeetCode problems. The more I solve, the more I feel that beyond dynamic programming, what's more worth preparing for interviews is how models move from the training ground to the field.

Of course, I might be misunderstanding things. Controlled world models exiting the deployment chain doesn't mean no contribution. It just doesn't stand in the foreground. Short-term saves inference costs; long-term saves system complexity. The difficulty shifts from "how to make the model think" to "how to make the model err less while thinking less."

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Tang Wenyuan

Hold on, this thinking is kind of similar to the "AI execution workflow" I was struggling with before. If the model exits after training, then if an interviewer asks "How does the model iterate continuously after deployment," wouldn't I be stuck for an answer?

Mai Ken Cao

Exit after training? Interesting approach. But during deployment, without the world model as a safety net, what happens with long-tail anomalies? I've been tuning agent harnesses lately and found that without a closed-loop environment feedback, robustness drops significantly...