Dreame Expands Across Many Categories: Can Home Users Really Keep Up?
Last week after cleaning the balcony glass at home, two water marks were left behind. My mom said it would've been better not to clean it at all. I casually pushed out that Dreame robot vacuum to see if the so-called "real-world usage challenges" actually apply to my home. I've used this machine for two weeks—not long, but I run it daily, and I've basically hit every problem.
First, the pain points. My living room has tiles, bedrooms have wood floors, there's a doormat at the kitchen entrance, and the balcony threshold is about 2cm high. This terrain is tough for cleaning devices. Doormats easily get tangled in the side brushes, thresholds can cause jams, and if the mop is too wet, it leaves marks on the seams of the wood floor. During the app mapping step, I initially followed the default settings; it split the living room and dining room into two separate rooms and even generated an extra "unknown area." Only after manually splitting and merging did it look right. To explain: mapping means the robot first uses LiDAR or visual sensors to recognize the layout and generate an editable map. If the map is inaccurate, subsequent no-go zones and selective cleaning will go off track.
This time I set it to sweep first then mop, with medium mop humidity, avoiding the doormat. Its path isn't fancy—it goes along the edges once, then covers the area in a zigzag pattern. It got stuck at the doormat by the kitchen door; the side brush got tangled once. The robot backed out and retried, but the app popped up a "Check Side Brush" alert. That prompt is good—at least you don't just wait around helplessly. After mopping, there were slight water traces on the tiles, which dried in half an hour; no obvious warping at the wood floor seams, but I still lowered the humidity setting by one level.
At IFA, Dreame showcased coverage across 16 categories with over a hundred products, six of which won international awards. My first reaction to this news was: spreading categories this wide—can after-sales service, consumables, and software maintenance keep up? People in the auto industry view this like looking at supply chains. Building the hardware is just the first step; what determines reputation later is OTA (remote upgrades), sensor calibration, and fault handling. I'm not worried about battery life for this solution—it returns to charge when empty. What worries me more is consumable costs. Mop pads, filters, side brushes, dust bags—over time in a household, these are just another way of writing down "total cost of ownership."
Not many surprises, but it's stable. It doesn't hype "intelligence" mystically; at least on my end, it completes a full cycle. I borrowed a friend's window-cleaning robot and tried it once; that thing feels more like high-altitude work equipment, where safety logic matters more than cleaning effectiveness. Glass edges, window frames, presence of railings—all determine whether it dares to operate. At my friend's house with inward-opening windows, after it attached itself, I watched the whole process, feeling uneasy inside. For window-cleaning products, especially when elderly family members use them, the main risk lies in user error.
Conclusion: It depends. Suitable for those with relatively simple flooring who are willing to spend ten minutes weekly clearing side brushes and changing water; also suitable for those with clear mopping needs who don't want to bend over themselves. Not suitable for complex layouts, many thresholds, lots of carpets, or households with elderly users who live alone and don't want to fuss with apps. Before buying, don't just stare at phrases like "world's first." Measure your threshold heights, doormat thicknesses, check if the mop can be dried automatically, and find out how much filter consumables cost.
Next, I plan to secure the kitchen doormat and test night mode again. If no side brush anomalies pop up for two consecutive weeks, only then will I recommend my mom press the start button herself. Otherwise, it saves my time but adds to her anxiety.
Physix Frontier