WorkBuddy Email Drafting Without Hallucinations: Contain Data, Fields, and Permissions First
Didn't take any orders today. Scrolled past an article recommending AI document writing software, which categorized tools into four types: general LLMs, office integrations, professional writing, and vertical scenarios. My first reaction was remembering how WorkBuddy wrote a Chinese email for me the day before yesterday and added "looking forward to long-term cooperation" on its own. The client never said that, nor did I.
I previously wrote about letting WorkBuddy draft Chinese emails, and it loved empty pleasantries more than I do. These past few days, I've repurposed it into an email translation checklist machine. The key to AI document writing is knowing the boundaries. I've used WorkBuddy for about a month, and what really works smoothly is the trio of materials, fields, and permissions.
Open WorkBuddy, enter the workspace, create a new project named "Client Emails," and place only one English inquiry, two PDF attachments (fixed-layout files), and a note into "Raw Materials."
A workspace in WorkBuddy is an isolated space for tasks, think of it as a temporary desk. Don't open your entire download folder or desktop to it. I've used it to read PDFs for four weeks; scanned documents are unstable, so for key attachments, I manually rename them to ClientName_Date_Filename first.
Create a new task, select "Document Processing," subtype "Email Draft," link "Raw Materials," and in the requirements field write: "Use only uploaded materials. Do not supplement facts not mentioned in the materials. Do not write greetings or promises, and do not add samples, discounts, or payment terms. Output the Chinese email body, under 150 characters. Separately list information needed from the client, max 3 items."
Initially, I just wrote "Help me write a Chinese reply," and it would automatically add "We can provide samples." Later, I changed it to "Do not supplement if not mentioned," and it started saying much less. Not sure if all versions behave this way, but it worked for me.
WorkBuddy allows saving output templates. Go to Task Settings > Output Templates, create "Chinese Inquiry Reply," and set fields to Salutation, Confirmed Items, Quote, Delivery Date, Pending Info, and Signature.
Fields are columns in a table, or slots for AI output. It can only fill existing slots, not invent new ones. Use only client names or company names from the materials for Salutation; if none, write "Hello." For Confirmed Items, only restate content already in the materials. If Quote and Delivery Date aren't in the materials, write "To Be Confirmed." Limit Pending Info to max 3 items, sorted by priority. Keep the Signature fixed.
I'm just starting with CSV and testing it these days. When exporting, I choose CSV because the fields are clear—one item per line—making it easy to review in Excel. I've used Excel for four weeks; checking for errors is faster than reading emails directly. If it still outputs Markdown symbols, I add a line at the end of the template: "Do not use #, *, - markers." Previously, Markdown exports were messy; I suspect format mapping wasn't set up right, so now I restrict the format.
If using it yourself, at least set up project permissions properly. In WorkBuddy, go to Project Settings > Member Permissions, set clients to View Only, colleagues to Edit Drafts, and keep yourself as Admin.
Who can see, who can edit—answer these two questions first. I mentioned before that if WorkBuddy permissions aren't set, the faster the AI works, the messier it gets. Now I'm more certain: isolate first, then automate. Tools only amplify existing order.
Daily routine involves two things. Before each export run, manually verify quotes, delivery dates, and amounts. Every Friday, clean up raw materials by moving replied emails out of the current workspace to prevent referencing old attachments.
My setup is client emails plus translation checklists, which may not suit all teams. For stable email writing with WorkBuddy, don't expect it to be smart. Tighten materials, fields, and permissions. The more it tries to supplement, the less freedom you should give it.
Physix Frontier