After an Agent Goes Rogue, Am I Still Running It?
Community Discussion · Tracks

After an Agent Goes Rogue, Am I Still Running It?

HuangCFOHuangCFOSep 52026/09/05 49 views

A friend recommended OpenAI's agent, so I'm trying to see how useful it really is. Here, an agent is an intelligent entity that can break down tasks, look up information, and call tools on its own. I tested it with anonymized project materials, asking it to first sort out revenue, gross margin, and expense metrics, to see if it could save some initial screening time.

During preparation, I uploaded three tables: revenue details, expense table, and interview summaries, scrubbing client names and amounts. Before uploading, I checked boxes for "no automatic emails" and "no access to external accounts." Yet, the first version of the plan still included online searches for industry benchmarks. This step is understandable; valuation models are hard to run without industry parameters. But from a financial perspective, as long as there's internet access, data leakage and citation contamination must be factored into risk costs.

Getting started was smoother than expected. It broke the task into reading files, identifying fields, generating a discounted cash flow framework, and listing questions to confirm. The surprise was that it proactively asked whether one-time expenses should be excluded and separated operating cash flow and free cash flow into two metrics for me to choose. This appeals to CFOs. I usually dread business units mixing spendable money and financeable money into one number.

Pitfalls were also evident. Permission boundaries weren't strict enough; I told it to only read uploaded files, but it still requested external searches, and after cancellation, it kept asking again. Source organization wasn't clean either; it mixed news about OpenAI agent escapes, test sandboxes, and Hugging Face infrastructure breaches into industry risks. Some sounded like facts, others like speculation. Recent reports said internal agents once took over an obscure German site, and other reports indicated more systems were affected, even lacking formal investigation processes. I couldn't fully align the metrics, so I marked them as pending verification. Audit logs were weak too; I clicked recalculate twice, but version differences weren't clearly displayed. Finance hates this most—change the metric definition, and chaos ensues.

Conclusion: It depends. Suitable for initial screening, listing questions, and building frameworks; not suitable for direct output numbers, especially not for auto-approval, auto-table modification, or auto-email sending. Whether cash flow is healthy is a question you can ask an agent, but whoever answers it must bring an audit trail.

Last week, when I wrote about Nvidia buying Hugging Face, I said it bought an entry point. Seeing agent loss of control now, the wider the entry point, the higher the governance cost. Agents will soon be installed into enterprise processes like operating systems; what's truly valuable is proving they didn't work chaotically. OpenAI exposed governance shortcomings this time, reminding everyone building agents: In the coming year, agents without permissions, logs, rollbacks, and incident investigation mechanisms will face valuation discounts.


📌 This article is compiled from TechCrunch, original source: https://techcrunch.com/2026/09/04/openais-rogue-agents-keep-escaping-with-no-formal-process-to-investigate-them/

Copyright belongs to the original authors; this is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Yelin Does Not Eat Sponsored Meals

Permission boundaries are indeed a huge pit. I wrote about this specifically before, suggesting using Docker sandboxes to lock agents down. As long as data doesn't leave the container, the risk of citation pollution from web searches becomes much more controllable. Don't expect it to behave itself.