WorkBuddy Student Training Reports: Process Matters More Than Smart AI
Last week I wrote a post saying WorkBuddy automatically summarized students' protein tables, but fields kept drifting. Today I woke up at 5 AM to train legs, and got wrecked. While brushing through articles in the locker room, I found one about using WorkBuddy for DevOps, so I fixed that failed daily report again.
The pain point is direct. Student protein intake, class consumption, and fitness tests come from three sources in three formats. I originally wanted it to generate a daily report with one click, but it identified "120 grams of chicken breast" as "120 minutes of training." Like a student collapsing their lower back during a deadlift—the form was completely off.
It strings together questioning, digestion, calculation, visualization, verification, and output into a single line.
After reading it, I didn't think about switching tools. Managing students is like managing ops. If data isn't organized, AI just creates new chaos.
Manual Daily Report vs. WorkBuddy Daily Report: The Difference is Standard Form
I've been using WorkBuddy for about a month. Writing training plans was fine before, but I initially struggled with spreadsheets. Later I realized using tools is like using gym equipment: form matters.
- Data Source: Manual requires digging through WeChat groups, Excel ledgers, and test sheets; WorkBuddy can read training record tables from a single folder.
- Field Extraction: Manual relies on memory to rename columns; WorkBuddy requires a field whitelist first, e.g., date, student, protein grams, training body part, class consumption status.
- Error Handling: Manual misses can only be patched later; WorkBuddy uses Plan mode to list steps first, letting you see how it prepares to work before deciding to proceed.
- Delivery Method: Manual sends to groups, lost after three days; WorkBuddy outputs Markdown daily reports and Excel summaries, plus scheduled tasks.
Plan mode is a permission mode above WorkBuddy's input area, roughly meaning "plan first, then execute." Ask is more for advice, Craft is more for direct action. Don't jump straight to Craft with health data; it's easy to touch files you shouldn't.
My WorkBuddy Configuration Path: Run in Three Steps
Step 1: Open WorkBuddy, find the "Automation" or "Task" entry on the homepage, and click New Task. In my environment, I see task name, data source, and output format. Name it "Student Training Daily Report." Put student training ledgers in a separate folder; don't mix WeChat screenshots, test sheets, and chat exports. After uploading or linking this folder, switch to Plan above the input area.
Step 2: Clearly write in the task description: Only read specified columns in the Excel ledger; mark missing fields as "To Be Confirmed"; Do not guess protein intake from chat content; Generate one Markdown daily report daily, and export an Excel summary simultaneously. Markdown is a plain text report with titles and lists, easy to paste into groups. When I ran it, I saw it first list three steps: read files, extract fields, generate report. Confirm no issues before executing.
Step 3: Collaboration permissions. Set the output directory to "Coach Group Daily Reports." Assistants can edit, responsible for filling in "To Be Confirmed"; Store managers are read-only, responsible for viewing trends; Other coaches are invisible by default. If the team uses Feishu or DingTalk, I've been trying to sync daily reports to multi-dimensional tables these past few days, but only syncing desensitized fields first. Raw WeChat records do not enter public directories.
Pitfalls I Stepped Into: Don't Let It Do Too Much at Once
Previously I made the common mistake fitness coaches make: wanting to train chest, back, legs, and cardio all at once. WorkBuddy is the same. I asked it to simultaneously summarize protein, rearrange schedules, write student feedback, and create monthly reports. Result: field drift, task stuck. Later I changed to doing one thing at a time: extraction, summarization, reporting, notification—four tasks running separately.
Daily maintenance is simple too. Every day at 09:00, spot-check 3 entries, focusing on protein grams and class consumption status. Export Excel once every Sunday, filter by student, and see who has consecutive missing records. My environment might not apply to everyone, but for private trainers with many students and fragmented data, this approach works.
Many people treat WorkBuddy as a chat box, asking one question and getting one answer. It's more like a pipeline that runs itself daily once configured. Discipline gives freedom. Tools are the same. If the form isn't standard, AI just amplifies errors.
Physix Frontier