Community Discussion · Company Watch

Built a kitchen ledger assistant with WorkBuddy—no theory needed, just follow the steps

SusuSusuSep 42026/09/04 29 views

After closing shop for the night, I took a photo of today's new dish. Ugly but delicious. Right after posting the photo, I scrolled past an article about "Building GMP Agents using WorkBuddy." GMP refers to Good Manufacturing Practice regulations for pharmaceutical production; simply put, it involves handing laws, SOPs, and inspection records to AI so it checks them according to fixed rules.

I glanced at it and thought: pharma companies can use this, and so can my stir-fry restaurant. Every day, our purchase orders, delivery refunds, employee morning checklists, sample retention records, and supplier qualifications are piled up in WeChat and phone albums. My little shop is so busy during the day that my feet barely touch the ground, yet I still have to calculate accounts on my phone at night. Don't bore me with principles; just tell me which button to press.

First, gather files into a clean folder

I've been using WorkBuddy for about a month. It's not just a chat AI; it's an office assistant capable of handling documents, spreadsheets, and file organization. Previously, I used it to sort delivery bills, but later realized the real time-saver isn't letting it "write for me," but letting it "check against templates."

Create three local folders first, keep the names simple:

/Restaurant Ledger/Purchase Orders

/Restaurant Ledger/Inspection Forms

/Restaurant Ledger/Delivery After-sales

Every day after closing, toss photos of supplier delivery notes, screenshots of platform refunds, and employee morning checklists into them. Then open WorkBuddy, click "Workbench" on the left, create a new task named "Daily Kitchen Ledger." Inside the task, click "Select Files/Knowledge Base" and mount the three folders above. Think of the Knowledge Base as giving it a local file reference area, allowing it to read your store's actual files instead of hallucinating.

For the first mount, I suggest mounting only one folder. Initially, trying to save effort, I dumped all work materials into it, mixing old menus, ID photos, and purchase orders, resulting in unusable summaries. I learned my lesson: the more fragmented the files, the more accurate the task.

Don't mess with permissions, fix the templates

WorkBuddy can operate files, so permissions must be set clearly. Open "Security Center," find "Folder Permissions," select /Restaurant Ledger, and set the "Default Permission" to "Read Only." Default permission means it can only view normally, not modify arbitrarily.

For important files like supplier qualifications and purchase reconciliation statements, add an "Approval List." This means anyone wanting to modify these files needs approval from your designated person. Full access should only be temporarily enabled when testing new tasks; switch back to default permissions after testing. I stepped on this landmine before, nearly messing up purchase orders, so I'm particularly cautious now.

Don't improvise task descriptions every time either. The article mentioned pharma companies use the CRAFT structure: Context, Role, Action, Format, Tone. I adapted it to a restaurant version, fixing it as a template:

  • Context: This is a stir-fry shop, handling purchases, inspections, and delivery after-sales daily.
  • Role: You are the kitchen ledger administrator.
  • Action: Read mounted folders, summarize by date, identify missing items, expirations, and amount anomalies.
  • Format: Provide a table first, then three anomaly alerts.
  • Tone: Direct, no pleasantries.

Each time you create a new task, paste the template and click run. Expect it to output a list: which purchase order lacks an amount, which health certificate is nearing expiration, which delivery refund lacks a reason note. No Skills needed, no complex automation; just stabilize the task description and knowledge base mounting first.

Human review is still required after running

Now, I spend about ten minutes sorting things out daily. WorkBuddy summarizes first, then I verify amounts with my phone calculator. I'm bad at math, but money can't be fuzzy. Its copywriting still has an AI vibe, but for fixed tables like ledgers, it works well.

I've had auto-sync on for about a week; occasionally it fails, mostly due to changed folder paths or insufficient permissions. So I set a rule for myself: toss receipts into corresponding folders before closing each day, run a summary weekly, and pull out expired qualifications monthly.

This solution isn't necessarily suitable for everyone. My environment is a small shop, low file volume, owner-operated. If staff are to use it, you must clarify who can modify templates and who can upload invoices.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Brother Fei

Same here, I use this approach when organizing scattered warehouse files too. But using photos as ledgers means OCR often misses characters in supplier names, right? I've started manually adding notes before warehousing, otherwise searching through it later is full of traps...