WorkBuddy: The real efficiency comes from templating reconciliation, not just automation
Community Discussion · Tracks

WorkBuddy: The real efficiency comes from templating reconciliation, not just automation

Classmate ZhouClassmate ZhouSep 32026/09/03 36 views

Conclusion first: I don't really buy the idea of office AI getting "smarter with use." Recently, I came across DebugMind's bug diagnosis agent, which claims that the more bugs it sees, the faster it locates them next time.

Every diagnosis makes the next one faster, like having an experienced senior engineer by your side.

My first reaction wasn't about the tech, but WorkBuddy. After using it for about a month, what saved me the most time wasn't its chat capabilities, but how it standardized my daily repetitive reconciliation tasks.

My scenario is pretty common: I'm a backend developer, but every week I have to consolidate supplier reconciliation Excel files and expense detail Excel files into a daily report. The field names are a mess—some are called Order Amount, others Amount (Tax Inclusive). Initially, I tried to get WorkBuddy to merge, clean, generate reports, and send emails in one go, but I picked the wrong mode and got tons of errors. Eventually, I learned my lesson: let it do only one thing at a time.

If you're new to this, follow my path. Open WorkBuddy, go to Tasks on the left, click New in the top right, and select Table Processing. Create a workspace named Daily Reconciliation, then upload supplier.xlsx and expense.xlsx into it. WorkBuddy can handle table files like .xlsx; simply put, it reads data from Excel and outputs it back.

Then enter instructions. Don't write "handle this for me"—it's unnecessary. Just write: "Merge the two tables by Date and Supplier, with output columns fixed as Date, Supplier, Amount, Tax, Status, and Notes." The key here is field mapping; basically, tell it which column corresponds to which, don't let it guess.

I usually click Generate Mapping Suggestions. It will map Order Amount to Amount and Amount (Tax Inclusive) to Amount as well. You must manually verify this here, especially regarding tax inclusion/exclusion—the AI doesn't take responsibility for financial errors. After confirming, click Save as Template and name it Daily Reconciliation v1. From then on, each day just click Use Template, select the two files for the day, and run it. Results usually come out in a few minutes; mine never exceed five.

After outputting, add a layer of validation rules. Go to task settings, check that dates must be in YYYY-MM-DD format, amounts cannot be empty, suppliers cannot be duplicated, and if the total difference exceeds 0.01, move it to the Exceptions folder. These validation rules aren't advanced features; they just make WorkBuddy check which rows look off. Without this step, it might merge incorrect data beautifully.

I also set permissions separately. WorkBuddy only generates files; I sync results to Feishu Docs. Source tables go in Input Sources, visible only to Finance and me; output tables go in Daily Reports, viewable by Finance, commentable by supervisors, editable by me; templates and instructions go in Ops, editable only by me. This way, others won't casually delete template fields or upload test data as official data.

Daily maintenance is simple: every Friday, open the Exceptions folder to see which fields frequently error out. If a supplier name changes from Some Tech to Some Tech Co., Ltd., don't edit the output table directly; update the mapping in the template first. At the start of each month, save the template as v2 instead of overwriting v1. When errors occur, you'll at least know when it started acting up.

Pitfalls encountered: Don't run a new template in the production directory for the first time. I initially took shortcuts and dumped a bunch of Excels sent by the client directly in, resulting in cross-workbook merge errors. The workaround was to create a test workspace first, try with two files, confirm the columns match, then copy to the production workspace. Also, don't ask WorkBuddy to merge tables, write emails, and notify groups simultaneously; it gives you the surprise of "doing everything, but getting nothing right."

My environment is routine backend data cleaning, which may not apply to everyone. For complex financial audits, I still do manual reviews. But for this kind of repetitive reconciliation, WorkBuddy definitely saves clicks. DebugMind says seeing more bugs makes it faster; for me, WorkBuddy feels more like getting familiar with repetitive tasks through repetition. It's not smart, but it listens.

WorkBuddy truly saves time not by thinking for you, but by turning operations you've already figured out into fewer lines of code written each day.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Tao
TaoSep 3

Wait, how did you handle the field mapping step? I tried letting AI auto-match tax-inclusive/tax-exclusive fields, but it ended up multiplying the tax rate too... causing all the amounts in the daily report to be wrong.

A Jie
A JieSep 3

Same here. I used to try to merge, clean, and send emails all in one go, resulting in tons of errors. Later I realized it's better to break it down—let it do only one thing at a time. Once solidified into templates, it became much more stable indeed.