Local LLMs Enter the Living Room: Don't Hype Them Yet
Community Discussion · Tracks

Local LLMs Enter the Living Room: Don't Hype Them Yet

LuguoLuguoSep 32026/09/03 38 views

I compared the Eufy HomeBase 3 with the newly acquired MindBase and actually ran them side-by-side. It suits people who already have a bunch of Eufy cameras and don't want to hand over all video summaries to the cloud; it doesn't suit novices expecting one sentence to take over the whole house.

MindBase is Anker's local AI hub for the Eufy security line. Simply put, you place a small box at home, collect events from cameras, sensors, and Matter devices within the LAN first, then use Anker's large model for recognition, merging, and summarization. HomeBase 3 already has BionicMind edge recognition, capable of identifying familiar faces, human shapes, pets, and packages; MindBase's change is a stronger emphasis on local LLMs and being a central hub for the whole house. Matter can be understood as a universal smart home protocol.

On day one, I placed the unit in a corner of the living room, right next to an air purifier, with its light ring glowing, looking like a regular router.

In the app, configure the network first, then bind cameras. I got stuck here; it required me to confirm which cameras allow local analysis and which remain cloud-only. The permission explanations weren't hard to understand, but the entry point was hidden deep. I clicked four or five times to separate the doorbell cam, living room cam, and balcony cam. Matter device discovery was slower; in my test, a Matter plug took nearly ten minutes to appear.

By day three, things started happening. I deliberately created several events: someone ringing the doorbell, a delivery left down, a dog moving on the balcony. Previously, the timeline showed a string of duplicate notifications; now it merges the same time period into one card, writing "Delivery person appeared at the door, package placed." It didn't decide whether to open the door for me; it just cleaned up the information.

After a week, I started trying complex tasks. For example, "After 10 PM, if someone is at the door and the living room light is on, push a reminder." I've used rule matching for a while; the conditions themselves aren't difficult, but in MindBase's interface, multi-condition automations require selecting devices, triggers, and actions layer by layer. Once I clicked the order wrong, and the test had no response; later I realized it requires confirming devices are online first. Actions involving locks and lights basically all require manual confirmation.

This isn't bad. I'm also testing AI phones; cross-app tasks getting out of control is annoying. Home devices are trickier: if a light turns off, you can turn it back on; if a door opens wrongly, it's an accident. The advantage of MindBase's local LLM is that summaries still work when disconnected from the internet, and privacy boundaries are clearer; the downside is obvious: limited device-side computing power, so complex understanding isn't as flexible as the cloud. I asked it to "summarize door events from the past seven days," and the result was quite templated, with long sentences occasionally awkward.

What it truly relies on is stability. The key going forward is to solidify permissions, failure fallbacks, and cross-device state synchronization.

Local AI hubs will first become organizers of security and sensor data in the next year, then slowly become automation entry points. Whoever gets false positives, offline availability, and failure recovery paths right first deserves to talk about being the brain of the smart home.

Right now, I give this box a half-recommendation. Existing Eufy users, privacy-sensitive individuals, and those willing to tinker with rules can wait for reviews; those wanting to link all brands with one device but aren't good at network configuration should not get excited yet.


📌 This article is compiled from TheVerge, original text https://www.theverge.com/tech/987936/anker-eufy-mindbase-ai-security-camera-system-matter

Copyright belongs to the original author; this is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Qian Haoxuan

Getting stuck on network configuration is so real. I had the same issue when connecting WorkBuddy to multiple platforms before. Running large models locally does save privacy anxiety, but beginners shouldn't expect to take over the whole house with one sentence. Just use it as an advanced NVR for now.