After a Month with WorkBuddy, I Shifted from 'Who's Stronger' to 'Who Delivers'
Conclusion first. For me, WorkBuddy isn't a chat buddy or an image generation machine. It's more like a foreman sitting on top of the delivery folder. Doubao Pro is more like the front desk, handling meetings, creativity, and smoothing out communication. I came across a side-by-side comparison of WorkBuddy and Doubao Pro today, and I agree with one line in it.
The comparison says WorkBuddy and Doubao Pro aren't about one completely crushing the other, but rather being complementary partners.
But I want to put it more bluntly. For photographers and e-commerce deliveries, what's truly valuable isn't "can it chat," but "can it turn that pile of RAW files, quotes, contracts, reference images, and client screenshots on my computer into something deliverable."
Where the problem comes from: What I get stuck on has never been image quality
I wrote a post last week titled roughly "WorkBuddy isn't my main retouching tool, but it pulled me out of a folder with 200 files." That statement still holds up.
Anyone doing wedding photography or e-commerce product shots knows this. During peak season, after shooting all day, you come home at night not facing one big shot needing fine retouching, but a whole bag of chaos. Over three hundred RAW files on the memory card, reference images sent by clients at the last minute, a few AI-generated scene tests, quote Excel sheets, shot lists, WeChat screenshots with back-and-forth color temperature opinions, plus "New Folder" created casually by assistants. I can actually tolerate ugly interfaces, but if folders are so messy I can't work, that's different. That kind of mess is like getting the dusk color temperature wrong; the whole picture feels off.
Previously, I used Excel to manually register file names, numbers, and delivery status. It could be organized, but it was slow. Last Thursday, after finishing a shoot for a lighting fixture client, I tried throwing the entire package of files into WorkBuddy's workspace. Instead of rushing to let it retouch images, I had it do three things: categorize by shooting date, product type, and client confirmation status; list duplicate images, test images, and low-quality images; finally generate a pending delivery checklist.
This step is more practical than AI image generation.
How to break down the solution: Don't measure WorkBuddy and Doubao Pro with the same ruler
The quick-reference table in that comparison breaks them down into file manipulation, code, text-to-image, meeting transcription, quota transparency, remote automated tasks, and hallucination risk. I think this framework is basically correct. But looking at it again through a photographer's workflow, I lean more towards WorkBuddy.
- Local file organization: WorkBuddy is smoother.
- Batch renaming: WorkBuddy is smoother.
- Excel delivery checklists: WorkBuddy is more actionable.
- Meeting transcription minutes: Doubao Pro is more hassle-free.
- Text-to-image and video generation: Doubao Pro aligns better with expectations.
- Remote wake-up for tasks: WorkBuddy has an advantage.
- Content recognition and authenticity judgment: Neither should be blindly trusted.
Here is how I specifically use WorkBuddy.
First establish rules, don't start with requirements. I've fallen into this trap. Initially, I wanted to explain everything at once, asking it to "help me organize the files." As a result, it understood this as putting similar images together, including client reference images. Later, I learned my lesson and gave it a naming logic first: Date_Client_Product_Version_Status. For example, 20260902_SomeLighting_TableLampA_v2_PendingConfirmation. With this skeleton, it acts like a foreman later, not a headless fly.
Use workspaces to isolate deliveries. Studio assistants have files on their computers too, and clients send images. I create a separate space for each project, and WorkBuddy only reads this space. This has an additional benefit: clearer audit boundaries. Since it works via local file operations, permission boundaries must be tight. In my testing, after project isolation, misclassification cases decreased; about 8 or 9 out of 10 times didn't require rework.
Use auto-categorization and batch renaming together. I used auto-categorization for three weeks and batch renaming for one week. Using them separately isn't enough. Auto-categorization handles rough sorting, while batch renaming turns file names into a format that human eyes can recognize, Excel can filter, and clients can understand. Photographers are OCD about names. Messy file names equal unnumbered negatives.
Fourth, let it summarize Excel. This feature is plain, but it really saves time. Previously, before delivery, I had to manually verify: which images were selected, which were retouched, which clients hadn't confirmed yet, and which were backup images. Now I let WorkBuddy list them by status, and I add notes. In my testing, for small projects with twenty-plus files, what used to take about half an hour now produces a first draft checklist in ten-something minutes. For large projects with hundreds of files, the time saved is even more obvious.
Fifth, remote wake-up is suitable for location shoots. This is something I seriously tested after using WorkBuddy Team. The first few days setting up the Team plan were annoying; member allocation and login flows weren't intuitive. I initially thought I could just copy the personal version's ease of use. Eventually, I figured it out slowly. But the function itself is useful. When I'm out shooting locations, leaving my computer at the studio, if an assistant or client temporarily needs a delivery sheet, I can send tasks via WeChat or Feishu to make WorkBuddy run. It doesn't just reply "Okay" in chat; it actually reads files, generates tables, and gives feedback.
Doubao Pro is a different line for me. Meetings, creativity, copywriting, casual consulting—it's smoother there. Especially when clients suddenly hold online communications, I don't need to watch the records; when I need minutes after the meeting, Doubao Pro is more hassle-free in this scenario. I also admit its text-to-image aligns better with expectations. The comparison said WorkBuddy's image output is fragmented, and I feel the same. Making WorkBuddy do Midjourney or Seedream-style image generation isn't its job. I used Midjourney for two weeks and Seedream for one week; for aesthetics and image output, I still hand it over to specialized tools. WorkBuddy is responsible for filing the output results into the project; don't let it draw by itself.
Here I'll say something blunt. Many office Agent promotions like to hype "all-in-one" too much. For photographers, all-in-one doesn't mean it can handle every step. As long as it can manage the delivery folder, it's already worth the price.
Results and Judgment: It's good for executing tasks, not for replacing your aesthetic sense
After using it for a month, the change WorkBuddy brought me wasn't "faster retouching." I still have to look at retouching myself. The change was in the pre-delivery phase: finding files, organizing checklists, confirming status, notifying clients. This part used to be the most draining.
In my testing, the biggest benefits are three:
- Delivery folders changed from taking half a day to dig through each time, to being directly filterable by status.
- Assistants no longer repeatedly ask me "Should we send this one?"; the status is clearly listed in the checklist first.
- Screenshots left by clients changing their minds can be archived into corresponding projects, no longer scattered in WeChat.
But the complaints are also significant. WorkBuddy is not suitable for AI content recognition. I wrote previously that whether contracts contain AI-generated content should be judged by specialized tools, not forced onto office Agents. It can do file organization, table summarization, and remote tasks, but for content authenticity judgment, it gives you a feeling of "it's very confident but the basis is thin." Hallucination risks exist, so I always manually review key checklists.
I won't praise the interface either. WorkBuddy's interface isn't pretty, at least not the kind of consumer-grade UI that grabs you at first glance. I'm a visual animal; ugly interfaces really make me resist. But it has one good point: the file tree and task status are relatively clear, like a ledger in a darkroom. Not flashy, but gets the work done. Doubao Pro's interface is more pleasing, and it speaks more smoothly. However, pleasing doesn't equal delivery.
Regarding the industry data mentioned in that comparison, WorkBuddy ranks high in monthly visits among PC-based AI-native office agents. This track limitation is very clear. It's not number one in daily active users across all platforms. I actually think this limitation is important. Office Agents aren't competing on who has more users now, but on who can enter real workflows. Monthly visits show it's opened frequently, but don't prove every user treats it as their main tool. From my perspective, those treating it as their main tool are mostly people with many files, many spreadsheets, and long delivery chains. The comparison also mentioned it passed some credible assessments, with traceable operations. I can't vouch for it, but at least it shows office Agents are starting to be required to leave trails. For photographers, leaving trails isn't a bonus point; it's the baseline for delivering work.
I predict that in the next six months, the victory for office Agents won't be in "who chats more like a human," but in "who dares to do the dirty work of local files, permissions, logs, tables, approvals, and closed-loop delivery." If WorkBuddy continues to stabilize file manipulation and automated tasks, it will eat up more time in scenarios like photographers, e-commerce operations, small studios, and admin/finance. If Doubao Pro adds local file manipulation, it will be very threatening. But in the short term, I still keep WorkBuddy in the position of delivery foreman.
So back to the title sentence. After using WorkBuddy for a month, I no longer ask if it can replace Doubao. I only ask if it can manage the delivery folder. If yes, I keep it. If no, no matter how fancy, it's useless.
Physix Frontier