Who Is the AI-DLC Workflow Actually For?
Community Discussion · Tracks

Who Is the AI-DLC Workflow Actually For?

Ling XiLing XiSep 32026/09/03 41 views

AWS's AI-driven development workflow suite, AI-DLC Workflows 2.0, is now GA on the default main branch and officially available. It’s a good fit for teams that already switch between multiple coding agents and are willing to treat process rules as engineering assets. If you just want Copilot to autocomplete a few lines of code, it might feel too heavy.

Last week, I pulled down the main branch of awslabs/aidlc-workflows and gave it a spin. The interface isn’t flashy; the repo mainly consists of harness docs, rule files, and extension directories. My first stumbling block was the term "harness." Simply put, a harness refers to the development shell in which the model runs—Claude Code, Kiro CLI, Kiro IDE, Codex CLI, Cursor, opencode, and GitHub Copilot all count as different harnesses. I tried it with GitHub Copilot since I’m most familiar with it (I’ve used it for about a month), so integrating it didn’t feel too alien.

When running small requirements, I threw in a task: "Add rate limiting to an existing interface and supplement tests." It didn’t spit out code directly; instead, it had the agent generate a plan first, then asked follow-up questions about boundaries. What are the rate-limiting dimensions? How should return codes be defined? Should tests cover concurrency? This experience was a pleasant surprise because usually Copilot tends to write straight from the prompt—fast but prone to omissions. There were pitfalls too. Rule files are Markdown, so editing them is light, but after multi-person maintenance, they easily turn into long documents nobody dares to delete. I added an extension rule stating "External calls must have timeouts," but the old prompts clashed with the new rules, causing the agent to start explaining repeatedly instead of directly modifying the code.

The benefit is that a core set of rules can be reused across different agents, making collaboration easier for teams. The process has gates: requirements, planning, implementation, and verification aren’t thrown into one pot. The downside is that the upfront cost of defining rules can’t be skipped, and it’s not really suitable for solo projects rushing to deliver demos. Previously, when I used WorkBuddy for information extraction, I still had to manually verify date fields; AI-DLC gives me a similar feeling—automation can’t write clear acceptance criteria for you.

I’d suggest trying it out on a real small module first rather than rolling it out to the whole team immediately. Whether it can transform AI coding from code generation into an auditable engineering process depends on whether the rules are maintained seriously. My next step is to continue running it on a small module to see if the rule maintenance costs can be kept down.


📌 This article is compiled from Hacker News. Original source: https://github.com/awslabs/aidlc-workflows/tree/main

Copyright belongs to the original author. This text is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Factor Miner

The term "harness" is indeed off-putting. When I worked on LiDAR, if the data sources weren't aligned, changing the shell wouldn't help at all. Maintaining rule files as assets? Sounds heavy. Better to clean up the dirty data in Excel first.

Luguo
LuguoSep 3

Wait, maintaining workflows as assets sounds like a headache. I tried AI Agents for two weeks, and just adjusting rule files was enough to give me a hard time. It's honestly better to just write a script and get it running... Who is this thing even suitable for?