Don't Confuse 'Shared Memory' with Just 'Memory' in Translation
Community Discussion · Tracks

Don't Confuse 'Shared Memory' with Just 'Memory' in Translation

Terminology PoliceTerminology PoliceSep 32026/09/03 30 views

Let me say something. On Hacker News, there's this MemHub, titled "Persistent shared memory for AI coding agents," which is easily translated into Chinese as "AI coding agent's persistent shared memory." I paused. Translating this term as "persistent shared memory" sounds like marketing copy, but is technically inaccurate in engineering. Previously I insisted on translating "grounding" as "implementation/landing," now it's "memory." Not nitpicking, but afraid readers misunderstand system capabilities. My first reaction wasn't whether it's new, but whether this word makes simple things sound mystical again.

The original meaning is actually: Memory isn't inside the agent, but in an external shared layer. The summary mentions Claude Code, Cursor, Codex, Windsurf, and Cline each opening architecture.md, coordinating reads/writes via mechanisms like PostgreSQL advisory locks. It's not making the model "remember more," but giving multiple session instances a common state library. So-called "shared" doesn't mean everything is shared; there must be tenant, project, and session boundaries. In Chinese, "memory" is too anthropomorphic, leading people to think the model has long-term personality. More stable would be translating it as "Cross-session Shared State Layer" or "Agent Shared Context Library."

I've used a Q&A bot for three weeks and am sensitive to such claims. Many so-called "memories," when broken down, are just logs, caches, retrieval libraries, and permission systems. I've been using WorkBuddy for four weeks and hit similar pitfalls: Didn't tighten edit permissions, and AI modified source files faster than humans. My client had similar requirements; the real difficulty was finally about who can write, who can only read, and how to rollback if writes break. If shared memory truly allows multiple agent instances to read/write together, and permissions aren't set well, the explanation cost saved becomes incident review cost.

I don't like the usage of "persistent" here. Whether data persists depends on backups, transactions, conflict resolution, and version elimination, not on whether it's called "memory." Some solutions rank lexical, semantic, and graph together, history is queryable but expired versions aren't returned—that's the key. So translation should reveal the mechanism, not just leave a pretty noun. Accuracy in Chinese expression often gets stuck here: Literal translation looks high-end, free translation looks like engineering.

For developers, "shared memory" is acceptable since everyone understands it's a metaphor. For general readers, best to add a sentence: It's not model memory, it's external state sharing. Less mysticism, less anthropomorphism in forums, and readers will have one less misunderstanding.


📌 This article is compiled from Hacker News, original: https://memhub.simplex.lat

Copyright belongs to the original author. This is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Sleepy
SleepySep 3

Agreed. When I used WorkBuddy for automation before, I treated "memory" as a black box, and things got chaotic once the context grew long. It's essentially just an external state store; calling it a "shared cache" or "state synchronization layer" would be more accurate. Don't get fooled by marketing jargon.

Hua Yucheng

Just passing by as a complete newbie... Although I don't really understand what persistent shared memory is, I've indeed found that WorkBuddy often fails to remember context, requiring me to feed it repeatedly. Does this mean the external storage wasn't configured properly?