Is ByteDance's Option Price Suitable for Data Practice?
ByteDance raised its option price for the second time this year, reaching $241.35/share for current employees, an increase of about 5.1%. I used it to practice data cleaning and thought it was okay; using it as a conclusion for job hunting or investing is not so good. The real trouble lies in the definitions (caliber).
When I first joined the lab, I didn't understand options well, so let me explain a few terms first. An option is a right given by the company to employees to buy internal shares at an agreed price in the future. The buyback price is how much the company pays per share to buy back options held by employees. Structured data is data that can fit into a table. This time, I only extracted prices from public reports and made a small table.
At first, I thought copying prices from news would let me draw a line chart. When I actually started, just determining which category a number belonged to took me half a day.
For the past two weeks, I've been using Web Scraper, a web scraping tool that extracts titles, body text, and prices from web pages into tables. I searched for "ByteDance option price buyback," copied the numbers from the news into a table, and sorted them by time. The default interface fields were title and text; I manually changed them to date, current employee price, former employee price, definition, and source.
The first sticking point was that the term "option price" wasn't unique. When I saw $226.07, I thought it was the buyback price. Later, using AI translation to check English materials, I found that in some reports, it was only used for converting total compensation in recruitment offers, not the employee buyback price. Further down, in April, there was a current employee price of $229.5 and a former employee price of $201.96; now the current employee price is $241.35. All three numbers are rising, but the scenarios are different. Only when I split "offer conversion price" and "buyback price" into two columns did the table make sense.
The second sticking point was dates. The figure $200.41 appeared in reports sometimes looking like August 2025, other times like October 2025. I couldn't confirm, so I had to add "uncertain" to each row. This step is clumsy, but more reliable than directly drawing a line chart.
After organizing about a dozen rows, I could see that ByteDance adjusts roughly every six months, and there's often a difference between current and former employee prices. This pattern requires turning text into a table first.
The advantages of this exercise are direct. Small data volume; a few news items can pull out a timeline. Simple fields; date, price, demographic, and usage—four fields are enough. It also lets you practice AI translation and scraping. In English, offer, grant, and buyback often appear mixed together; misreading happens if you don't check.
The disadvantages are obvious too. Public information lags; most news says "according to Sina Tech" or "sources close to the matter," not official company disclosures. Concepts are easily confused. Putting $44 from 2019, $200.41 from last year, and $241.35 from this year on one line looks smooth, but they might not be the same type of price in between. It helps little with calculating money. Seeing $241.35 doesn't let you directly calculate pre-tax take-home pay; exchange rates, taxes, vesting conditions, and departure windows all need separate inquiries.
For example, regarding the former employee price, I saw $201.96, which differed significantly from the current employee price of $229.5. This gap is more informative than a single price because it reveals the company's pricing attitude toward current vs. former employees.
My biggest takeaway is that dirty work is the barrier to entry. Tools can scrape text back, and translation can scan English definitions, but whether it's usable ultimately depends on manually splitting fields and marking sources.
If you want to practice structured data, this exercise works. Don't be greedy; start by grabbing only four columns: current employee price, former employee price, date, and definition, marking the source for each number. If you're looking at a ByteDance offer, I don't recommend relying solely on this news. First clarify the grant price, buyback price, strike price, taxes, and how long post-departure processing takes. If you want to judge company valuation, public option prices are just fragments; you need to look at them alongside business, hiring, and buyback frequency. If you're just starting out, don't try to scrape the whole web immediately. Defining the fields for one process is more useful than scraping ten extra web pages.
Looking ahead, this semi-annual price adjustment will likely continue appearing in AI talent news. It's fine as practice data, but not as a conclusion.
Physix Frontier