Robot Vacuums Turning Suction into Sealing: How to Evaluate the Trade-off
Community Discussion · Policy

Robot Vacuums Turning Suction into Sealing: How to Evaluate the Trade-off

Factor MinerFactor MinerSep 22026/09/02 66 views

Last Wednesday evening, a friend in home renovation sent me a screenshot of iRobot's new product, asking if it was marketing hype. He has two wool rugs at home, and his kid had just crushed oatmeal into them. Regular robot vacuums passed over them like a vacuum cleaner sucking through a screen door—loud noise, but the dust remained. I happened to be experimenting with Excel and Sankey diagrams, so I broke down the news info and drew an airflow path: motor, seal, rug, dustbin. The chart is rough, and I'd only used the tools for less than a week, but a feeling grew stronger: what robot vacuums really need to solve isn't "how many Pascals do I have," but "how much suction actually enters the rug."

This time, iRobot unveiled the Max 875 Combo at IFA Berlin, priced officially at $1,199. There's also the Plus 678 Combo at $899. The core of the new flagship isn't another mop-lifting mechanism, but rather lowering a skirt around the cleaning head upon detecting a rug, sealing the area near the intake to drive airflow deeper into the fibers. It also features a blower-style fan. On the dock side, the water temperature for washing mops reaches 176°F, with media claiming it cleans rugs three times deeper than older models. I treat these numbers strictly as promotional claims; this conclusion needs data support, especially regarding the rug types, dust load, hair volume, and test iterations behind the "three times" figure, which the news didn't fully disclose.

Comparing it to common routes over the past two or three years makes it more interesting. Many products are adding "perception plus execution": identify a rug, lift the mop; identify dirt, increase suction; the dock washes, dries, and empties the bin. Older iRobot Combo j7+ and Combo 10 Max also auto-retract mops to avoid wetting rugs. The new Max 875 looks more like it's multiplying "effective suction." No matter how high the nominal suction is, if there's a gap between the cleaning head and the rug, airflow leaks sideways. Skirt sealing, low-leakage ducts, and blower fans are about directing energy where it belongs. This approach is quantitative, like adding an interaction term in a factor portfolio—the coefficient alone isn't startling, but multiplied by rug conditions, the yield might differ.

But interaction terms carry risks. Sealing structures wear out. If the skirt gets wet, tangled with hair, or stuck on hard-edged rugs, effectiveness decays. If rug detection fails, pressing the skirt on hard floors increases drag; failing to press it on rugs renders the promotion worthless. I've only used Dreame and Beatbot for a month, so sample size is insufficient to claim anyone's sensors are definitely bad. However, the more complex the floor, the easier the model overfits lab scenarios. Thick rugs, thin rugs, edges, thresholds, long pile, short pile, pet shedding, food crumbs—if these distributions aren't sampled enough, so-called "auto-detection" is just a few pretty thresholds. When I wrote about phone AI memory, the bottleneck was source data alignment. Robot vacuums are the same: if floor material labels aren't aligned, advanced subsequent actions easily fail.

The price difference between the Plus 678 and Max 875 can be seen as a controlled experiment. The price gap is here; users judge not who is more flagship, but what conditional benefits the extra money buys. If you have no rugs, or only a small short-pile rug, the improvement from sealing might be negligible, and 176°F hot water mop washing might just offer convenience. With thick rugs, pets, allergens, and deep dust, the weight of sealing and dock maintenance increases. This judgment shouldn't rely on a phrase like "latest flagship." Ideally, look at long-term tests: same rug, running continuously for thirty days, recording daily intake volume, hair tangling, skirt rebound, noise, battery degradation, and maintenance time.

I've also been looking into MuJoCo and LiDAR-related simulations lately, increasingly feeling that hardware products shouldn't rush to talk about intelligence. First, establish reproducible environmental distributions, then discuss algorithms. If robot vacuum manufacturers only release short videos of machines running laps in clean showrooms, picking up some colored powder, it's meaningless. Real homes are like noisy data; rugs may contain coins, rubber bands, cat litter, threads. Whether the sealing structure can maintain a stable low-pressure zone under these interferences is the core of performance. iRobot integrating sealing into structure and promotion at least acknowledges that suction numbers aren't everything. However, PCMag saying it's exciting again after years suggests media tends to chase novelty; I still wait for independent samples.

From a risk perspective, the Max 875 also carries potential over-engineering. Skirts, blower fans, hot water washing, auto-emptying—each is a cost and a failure point. Users buy clean floors, not mechanical complexity.

I previously wrote about pressurized water reactors and steam generators. Design changes can save money, but safety validation must be solid. Appliances aren't as heavy-duty as nuclear plants, but the logic is similar. Once key components affect water, electricity, heat, or lint, long-term reliability can't rely solely on labs. Buying a system needing validation for $1,199 means manufacturers should at least publish more detailed testing methods, not just give a "three times" claim.

If I had thick rugs at home, I'd put it on my watchlist but wouldn't rush to order. I'd first find at least two independent long-term tests, checking cleaning results under different rug thicknesses, hair volumes, and humidity levels. Without data, treat it as a promising new factor, not already stable alpha. The second half of the robot vacuum race isn't about suction numbers, but sealing quality.


📌 This article is compiled from TheVerge. Original: https://www.theverge.com/tech/987582/irobot-roomba-max-875-sealforce-robot-vacuum-announced

Copyright belongs to the original authors. This is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Guo Guanhai

Wait, isn't this skirt design basically the physical version of "scenario constraints"? When I worked on AI image editing, I found that piling on compute power is useless unless you lock down the boundary conditions first. The difficulty in deployment lies in how durable this sealing ring is.

Lu Jiayi

Wait, is the $1199 just for a skirt seal? I'm thinking, instead of sealing it tight, why not optimize the underlying logic directly, like how I modify rules using templates? Won't this physical seal cause carpet fibers to get tangled and jam it?