After a Month with WorkBuddy, I Stopped Using It for One-Click PPTs and Made It a Knowledge Hub Instead
Community Discussion · Company Watch

After a Month with WorkBuddy, I Stopped Using It for One-Click PPTs and Made It a Knowledge Hub Instead

Old ChenOld ChenSep 22026/09/02 29 views

To be honest, this post isn't here to trash AI PPT tools. I read that same-day review comparing five mainstream AI PPT tools, which mentioned that the traditional PPT creation process is lengthy, layout is tedious, and content tracing is difficult. I completely agree with that point. But my current judgment leans more towards this: for foreign trade professionals making client proposals, quotation reports, or channel reviews, what really eats up time is usually not whether the final PPT looks good, but how messy the raw materials are beforehand. Data flies back and forth between Excel, emails, WhatsApp, Tei export sheets, Tendao leads, quotation screenshots, and product image translations. If you let a tool specifically designed to generate PPTs create a draft in one click, it can at most package the "mess" to look a bit prettier.

After using WorkBuddy for a month, my conclusion is that it's not competing in the same lane as tools like ChatPPT or SlideAI. WorkBuddy is more of a workflow hub managing raw materials, standards, and evidence chains, while professional PPT tools are more like the final plating.

First, a correction on the timeline: previous posts mentioned using WorkBuddy for two months. Here, I'm correcting that; the old post mixed up "watching others use it" with "using it myself." Strictly speaking, I've only been continuously using it to run foreign trade data for the last month, so this post is based solely on that one-month experience.

Last week, my client suddenly needed a quarterly quotation and main product description for Southeast Asian channels. The requirement sounded simple: organize prices from Excel, product images, delivery dates confirmed via email, a few customer objections, and lead classifications exported from Tendao last week into a roughly ten-page PPT. In the past, I would have had to manually dig through emails, copy tables, screenshot product images, and adjust Chinese/English terminology, burning nearly half an afternoon. This time, instead of rushing to find a PPT tool, I used WorkBuddy to create a working directory, dumping the quotation sheet, email exports, product images, and old proposal templates in there, asking it to first organize a version by "Customer-Product-Price-Delivery Date-Objection-Source." It didn't give me a pretty PPT directly, but it produced a structurally solid list of materials and a page-by-page outline.

Comparing input handling first, I think WorkBuddy wins clearly. Tools like ChatPPT are better suited when you already have a clear theme or at least a relatively clean document. The review said ChatPPT focuses on refined design and content fidelity, while SlideAI takes a lightweight cloud route, works on the web, generates drafts quickly, and has clean layouts. These are all fine. But my actual scenario isn't a ready-made article; it's a pile of dirty files. WorkBuddy handles documents, spreadsheets, emails, PPTs, data analysis, and file organization, gathering those messy things from your local computer first. For example, if I mix an Excel price list with email quotations, it can at least map them by filename, column name, and date. However, to be honest, it still gets confused when there are too many fields. I wrote a post last week about using WorkBuddy for sales lead summaries, noting that it got messy with too many fields. Later, I realized it wasn't the tool's fault; I hadn't provided a unified template initially. Inconsistent column names, sources, and date formats mean even a smart AI will mix up "Customer Name" and "Contact Person."

Next, compare content traceability. This is the most critical part in foreign trade scenarios. That review repeatedly emphasized content traceability, and I think they hit the nail on the head. Regular reporting PPTs can get away with pretty words, but client quotation PPTs cannot. One MOQ, one unit price, one delivery date, one certification clause—get one wrong, and it's a disaster. WorkBuddy's advantage here isn't "generation," but its ability to help me preserve the process.

I asked it to map each price item to its source file, such as which Excel worksheet, which email, or which quotation screenshot. The comparison table it generated wasn't perfect; some source identifications were off and required manual verification. But as long as it lays out the three columns of "Number-Source-Note," my subsequent review becomes much faster. I've said similar things before when dealing with image translation: make a comparison table first, then human review; don't blindly trust one-click auto-translation. PPTs are the same: let the tool spread out the evidence chain first, then talk about beautification.

But if we compare the final output effect, WorkBuddy definitely shouldn't go head-to-head with professional PPT tools. I tried letting it directly generate a client proposal PPT. The content skeleton was usable, and the logic was smooth, but the layout looked more like an internal report than a presentation for clients. Tools like ChatPPT are more mature in templates, layouts, and text-image relationships. The review mentioned capabilities like refined beautification, content traceability, and speech script generation, which are indeed more suitable for students, workplace users, and business presentations. A friend mentioned Gamma; it has excellent visual design, suitable for creative displays, but I wouldn't use it for quotation proposals because the content is too scattered, and with too many terms, you have to rearrange everything. SlideAI is light and fast, good for temporary reports, but its functional shortcomings are obvious: lacking a professional-grade beautification system and content traceability. My judgment is direct: on single-page aesthetics, WorkBuddy likely loses; on the entire business delivery closed loop, WorkBuddy is more suitable as the first layer.

Here is a very realistic division of labor. I later changed the process to this: WorkBuddy first cleans the data, generates a page-by-page outline, annotates data sources, and unifies Chinese/English terminology, then outputs an "input draft for the PPT tool." This input draft isn't a beautiful article, but hard content page by page: what the title is, which image goes where, which price quote is cited, and which risk points are noted. Then I throw this input draft to ChatPPT or similar tools for visual packaging. This is far more reliable than asking it to "generate a PPT" from scratch right away. Professional tools handle the skin; WorkBuddy handles the bones. Don't expect a PPT tool to understand your quotation logic, and don't expect WorkBuddy to give you high-end roadshow vibes.

I also need to address permissions separately. What do foreign trade pros fear most? Not ugly PPTs, but client lists, quotes, contact info, and contract clauses being casually uploaded. I've used WorkBuddy for about a month. It's okay for cleaning tables, but initially, I didn't quite grasp the file reading permissions. Last week, when helping a friend configure the international version of WorkBuddy, I got stuck for a while on model selection and file reading permissions. Eventually, I learned my lesson: give it a separate folder containing only the files needed for this task, not the whole drive. The cloud-based AI PPT tools mentioned in the review are convenient—you upload via the web and go—but for me, original client lists and quotes cannot be casually dumped to the cloud. At least on my end, I desensitize first, separating sensitive pricing items, and then let the tool generate the structure. If WorkBuddy can make local files, Feishu bots, and permission controls clearer, its advantages will grow. Honestly, it's already more like an office tool than many chat-only generation tools, but it's still far from being "safe for beginners to use."

I've recently been trying to connect WorkBuddy to Feishu (Lark) to assign small tasks during commutes, like organizing quotation tables dropped in client groups into Chinese-English comparisons. I think this direction has potential, but don't rush full automation. As I said before, before clarifying permissions, directories, and template constraints, AI should not fully automate core business data processing. The same applies to PPT scenarios now. AI PPT tools can help you quickly draft, and WorkBuddy can turn raw materials into auditable, traceable, and reusable work packages. WorkBuddy's true value lies not in "one-click generation," but in managing raw materials, standards, and evidence chains. I am more certain of this statement now than I was a month ago.

Let's talk about reusability. Tools like ChatPPT are great for one-off reports, and SlideAI is quick for firefighting. But foreign trade isn't about making a PPT once; it's about repeated revisions. Clients ask about MOQ today, certifications tomorrow, and channel-specific quotes the day after. WorkBuddy acts somewhat like a small data steward here. I put templates, column names, glossaries, and historical versions in there, so next time it makes fewer low-level mistakes. Of course, it's not without pitfalls. I only seriously started touching CSVs a few days ago, and I've used agents for less than a week, so I dare not claim it can fully take over client data automatically. I've recently written some small scripts to unify Excel column names or concatenate multiple export sheets. In this combination, WorkBuddy serves as the "middle layer that organizes business data into something machine-readable and human-auditable." This middle layer is dirty and boring, but it's the most valuable.

From an industry perspective, I'm not optimistic about treating "one-click PPT generation" as the endpoint of foreign trade delivery. What truly accumulates is not a specific generated presentation, but reusable data structures, unified standards, and traceable sources. If WorkBuddy continues to smoothly integrate entry points like local files, permissions, templates, Feishu, email, and spreadsheets, it may come closer to the daily reality of foreign trade professionals than any single-point PPT tool. Conversely, if it only does chat-based generation and doesn't solve issues of dirty inputs, broken sources, and chaotic permissions, then to me, it's just a more troublesome document assistant. My choice is simple: leave the skin to professional PPT tools; let WorkBuddy establish the bones and the evidence chain.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Zhong Zhiyuan

Same here, I've used it for 3 weeks and feel the same. Previously I struggled with color schemes not locking in, now I realize organizing scattered materials is the real pain point. But will it handle long texts like financial reports by treating footnotes as body text? A bit worried.