WorkBuddy Hands-On: My Workflow for Turning Official Documents into Submission-Ready Versions
Just scrolled past a post on Instagram saying they organized 30 must-know AI tools for 2026, and you could claim the full Notion version by commenting "AI". The comment section was flooded with "AI", looking quite lively. I clicked and looked for two seconds, didn't comment. Tool lists are like that—the more you bookmark, the less useful they seem. When you're actually at work, it's still those same materials: government documents, ledgers, screenshots, Word files, PDFs, all in a mess.
I've been using WorkBuddy for nearly a month. WorkBuddy is an AI office efficiency tool that handles documents, spreadsheets, emails, PPTs, and file organization. I stepped on a landmine before: I threw a file sent by my boss directly into it, asking it to extract content and generate a summary. It could indeed read it, but once the format got messed up, titles, page numbers, and attachment IDs all went haywire. Worse, it started modifying the original file. We've only been using AI Audit for two weeks. AI Audit is another AI tool used to output risk opinions. The moment it directly overwrote the original file, I knew we couldn't play like that anymore.
Later, I shifted my focus to splitting material work into three layers: original trace, copy processing, and output archiving. Red-header documents are just one category; ledgers, Word, and PDFs all follow the same set.
First, create three folders on the computer: Original Trace, WorkBuddy Copy, and Output Archive. Original Trace only holds the originals sent by the boss; WorkBuddy never touches it. Open WorkBuddy, click New under Tasks on the left, select "Document Organization," and name the task after the day's item, e.g., 0901 Ledger Organization. Select only WorkBuddy Copy for the file path, Output Archive for the output path, and check "Keep original filename" and "Generate change log" for formats. The change log is a table recording which files were read, what was output, and where uncertainties lie.
This step is crucial for beginners. Don't just say "help me organize materials" right away; it doesn't know the boundaries. I clarify paths, fields, output formats, and the prohibition on overwriting originals all at once. Let me explain fields: they are the columns in the table, e.g., "Doc No." is the file number, "Responsible Dept." is the specific unit or department in charge.
Before running, I click "Preview" first. WorkBuddy's preview interface arranges recognized fields into a table, with red marks indicating uncertainty. I usually manually fill in three things: doc number, date, and attachment name.
Government documents often have headers, footers, and seal images; AI doesn't always distinguish them clearly. If the preview looks okay, click "Execute." A dozen materials take about ten minutes to run, faster than manual copy-pasting. The output includes a body summary, a field table, and pending questions, each as a separate file, dumped directly into Output Archive.
I've also changed permissions. Previously, anyone in the shared drive could edit. Later, using WorkBuddy and AI Audit together caused frequent version conflicts. Now, only the materials group has edit rights within the department; other colleagues have read-only access. WorkBuddy Copy is the workspace. Anyone needing to process new files copies them in first, then lets WorkBuddy run. I set up a separate read-only monitor for Original Trace. Previously, I used folder monitoring to lock versions for about a week. Folder monitoring just watches if files have been modified. AI Audit can output risk opinions, but I don't let it overwrite originals; opinions are exported separately as PDFs.
Daily maintenance isn't complex. Before leaving work every day, I clear WorkBuddy's task logs, focusing on "Unrecognized" and "Format Conflict." Weekly, I archive confirmed versions in Output Archive, adding dates to filenames, e.g., 0901_Quarterly Ledger_v2. This way, if the boss asks which version, I can find it immediately.
Once, I threw a Word file with comments into the copy folder. Result: WorkBuddy misread the comment positions, and the output table had extra blank lines. Later, I learned to save the commented version as a "clean version" first, then process the body. If comments need to be kept, put them separately in Original Trace; don't expect AI to move them perfectly.
My current judgment is: whether WorkBuddy saves your life depends on whether input/output boundaries are clearly drawn. You can bookmark tool lists, but if you don't draw process boundaries, the busier the AI, the more chaos it creates. Currently, this workflow locks originals, allows processing of copies, and makes output versions traceable, reducing rework in material handling at least somewhat.
Physix Frontier