I Placed Two Orders on Shein's IPO Day
A friend recommended SHEIN to me, so I'm giving it a try to see if it's actually good.
It just so happens that on the morning of September 1st, SHEIN officially listed on the HKEX with stock code 00625. I wasn't planning to join the hype, but my client is working on a digitalization project for fast fashion, so I opened the app to act as both an ordinary user and a consultant.
Let's start with the process. I downloaded the international version of SHEIN. After registering with my email, the homepage was packed with dense recommendation slots. There were fewer traditional e-commerce banners; instead, it used a waterfall layout. I searched for "floral dress," and the results page allowed filtering by new arrivals, sales volume, and price, as well as selecting sizes. On the product page, colors, fabrics, washing instructions, model height, and size charts were all present. The review section included real photos from buyers. Here's a pleasant surprise: they've managed to dataize non-standard items like clothing as much as possible, so you don't have to imagine too much.
But I also got stuck. When filling in the address for the first time, the system asked me to select country or region, zip code, and state. Under the English interface, the field order didn't quite match domestic habits. For payment, I tried an international card, and the verification page jumped once before passing. After placing the order, the order page showed an estimated delivery range, but not a specific date. The customer service entry is in the bottom right corner. Once inside, you have to select the order first, then choose a problem category. Asking directly if you can change the address is a bit roundabout.
The competitiveness of this type of platform mainly depends on the supply chain; how pretty the pages are is secondary. SHEIN has publicly discussed large-scale automated small-batch rapid replenishment (LATR), which means launching small batches first, looking at the data, and then deciding whether to restock. Materials mention that initial batches for new products are usually around 100 to 200 units, hot-selling items can be restocked in as little as five days, and the inventory turnover days in 2025 were 36 days. Comparing this to Zara and H&M's store-based quick-response logic, I feel SHEIN is more about turning trial-and-error into a product mechanism—launch first, then chase orders.
This IPO is also worth watching. An IPO is when a company sells shares to the public for the first time. This offering had a price range of HK$47.6 to HK$49.5 per share, with 100 shares per lot. Approximately 279.99 million Class B shares were offered globally, co-sponsored by Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, and JPMorgan. It is expected to become the largest fashion brand IPO on the HKEX in 2026. Based on apparel and footwear retail sales in 2025, it is described as the world's largest online fashion platform; based on global fashion market share, it holds about 1.9%, second only to Nike and Inditex (Zara's parent company). I haven't independently verified these numbers, but it shows that institutions are betting on its global scale.
I'll pick out a few pros. Styles update quickly, and the recommendation feed makes it easy to get lost browsing. Size charts, buyer photos, and fabric descriptions are relatively complete, making them understandable even for beginners. The price points are attractive, especially suitable for impulse buys or trying out styles. The backend logic is clear; from launch to restocking feels like an assembly line.
The cons are also obvious. Low price doesn't equal low barrier to entry. I can't fully judge fabric and workmanship from images alone. Buyer photos help, but batch differences still exist. Logistics aren't friendly for urgent orders; the page gives a range, not a confirmed time. Return and after-sales entries are hidden deep. If you really encounter problems, communication costs rise. The international version isn't very friendly for those unfamiliar with English; small details like addresses, zip codes, and payment verification can easily drive people away.
Conclusion depends on the situation. If you're just buying something you're not in a rush to wear and are willing to experiment with style, it works well. If you're doing cross-border retail, supply chain digitalization, or want to study how fast fashion compresses inventory turnover, it's worth researching. The core is that they've turned launches and inventory into a replicable supply chain system. But if you want dignity, stability, immediate possession, or care deeply about local sizing and after-sales service, I wouldn't recommend using SHEIN as your main platform.
Here's advice for first-time users: place one or two orders first; don't hoard goods right away. Look at buyer photos from people with similar body types in the reviews; don't just look at model shots. Fill in the address completely before paying. IPO hype is just hype; let your wallet follow your actual needs.
Physix Frontier