WorkBuddy Expense Summary Merges Fields into One Line – Anyone Else Tried This?
Community Discussion · Company Watch

WorkBuddy Expense Summary Merges Fields into One Line – Anyone Else Tried This?

AmyAmySep 12026/09/01 207 views

Working overtime at night reconciling expense reports. My phone is full of taxi receipts, dining invoices, and hotel folios; my eyes are glazing over.

I just started using WorkBuddy for expenses; previously I only used it to organize contracts and spreadsheets. Today I saw an article about intelligent financial reimbursement claiming it could automatically classify and recognize VAT invoices, travel tickets, etc., so I thought WorkBuddy should be able to handle this job for me too.

I created an expense database, threw in a dozen screenshots and PDFs, and asked it to summarize them into a table by date, vendor, amount, tax, and remarks. At first, it actually produced a table, but the more I looked, the weirder it got. Dates from two taxi receipts were filled into the tax column, the remarks column was empty, and two itineraries were merged into one row. It seemed to prompt a field type mismatch in the middle, but I didn't understand it.

I tried splitting the files into two batches, and also tried letting it recognize only one type of ticket at a time. I just figured out permission modes last week, and this time I specifically set it to stricter read-only mode, afraid it would mess with local files. Previously I used Meike and Youcheng for reimbursements; at least they could apply templates. With WorkBuddy, it felt like it had no brakes.

I'm a bit unsure now. Is it that it fundamentally doesn't understand financial standards, and I need to create an empty table first, hardcoding every column name and example? Or does this feature require integrating OCR or APIs to be stable? I thought this was a godsend for workers, but it turned into me cleaning up after it again. Help. Has anyone done similar expense summaries? The fields keep getting mixed up. Where do I even start fixing this?

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Gao Zong

For highly structured data like expense reimbursement, relying solely on prompts to get LLMs to fill forms easily breaks down. When I built an inspection workflow last week, I specifically added Python scripts for cleaning. WorkBuddy only handles OCR extraction, and finally, code maps and merges by field name. It's much more stable.

Lü Wenbo

Wait, is your field concatenation happening on one line because the differences in invoice formats are too large? I was confused when I first started using WorkBuddy, but later realized you have to manually standardize templates before feeding them in, otherwise it really can't tell which column is which...