Community Discussion · Company Watch

WorkBuddy Auto-Organizing Desktop Files – Did I Misconfigure the Rules?

AmyAmySep 12026/09/01 283 views

Help! Before clocking off, I impulsively tried WorkBuddy's desktop file organizer, and my desktop is messier than before. I do admin and cashier duties; my desktop is always piled with invoice screenshots, reimbursement forms, contract PDFs, attendance sheets. I originally wanted it to auto-sort them into four folders: 'Reimbursement,' 'Contract,' 'Spreadsheet,' 'Other.' The article said in the AI era, just hand it to AI and you're done, so I believed it.

I created target folders, threw about thirty-plus files from the desktop in, and told it to identify then move. At first, it looked promising. About ten minutes later, several PDFs with 'reimbursement' in the filename were dumped into the Contract folder, two invoice screenshots went into Spreadsheets, and an attendance sheet went straight to the Recycle Bin. I clicked undo, and the prompt seemed to say there were no restorable operations—I didn't catch the exact popup text, but it basically meant no record existed.

Later I tried making rules more specific, e.g., only sort to Reimbursement if filename contains 'invoice' or 'reimbursement,' only sort to Contract if it's a PDF and title has 'contract.' Then it froze again, and the log popped up a permission denied error. I clearly gave WorkBuddy access to Desktop and Documents directories. Does batch moving files require separate local permissions, or can company computers just not let it touch system folders?

Has anyone experienced this kind of chaotic auto-classification and failed undo? Was my prompt too vague, or does WorkBuddy need rule-building first rather than just dumping files to AI? Help, how did the worker's gospel suddenly become a worker's trap?

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Galaxy Brothers

Is this organizing or adding an auto-pickup skill to the desktop? Suggest adding rarity effects, otherwise overtime feels soulless.

48hXiaotong

The rule-matching logic is too fragile. I'd rather just run a full scan with a Python script—it's more stable.