Community Discussion · Company Watch

After Four Weeks with WorkBuddy, It Still Saves More Time Than AI Coding Tools

Classmate ZhouClassmate ZhouAug 312026/08/31 231 views

I saw that 2026 AI programming tool landscape chart. It segments users pretty finely. Beginners use Lovable, developers use Cursor, pros go for Claude Code, and terminals have Gemini CLI. It also mentioned multi-Agent collaboration—one writes code, one writes tests, one reviews.

My first reaction was: for backend devs, the real time sink often isn't writing code.

At least not for me.

In this past month, what I feared most wasn't incomplete code suggestions, but ops throwing over a dozen xlsx files with inconsistent field names, while finance needed reconciliation done tonight.

I tried WorkBuddy again this month. Used it for 1 month. Conclusion remains: it works, but no need to mythologize it.

Last Wednesday, product, ops, and finance were reconciling accounts in a meeting room. I didn't want to go but got dragged in to listen. Headers differed across the three parties: "Order Amount," "Amount incl. Tax," "Settlement Amount"—three terms, one meaning. After the meeting, I copied 14 .xlsx files into a sanitized folder and threw them at WorkBuddy.

Task was simple: merge by supplier code and billing month, output a summary table, and flag anomalous rows.

First version failed. Error.

I posted about this earlier: WorkBuddy always errors out on merging tables. Looking back, the issue wasn't WorkBuddy; the files weren't clean. Three sheets had spaces in headers, one date column mixed text, and another amount column hid "N/A."

Stuff like this annoys humans, but tools hate it even more.

I cleaned the headers, unified date formats, and ran it again. Second time went smoothly.

About ten-something minutes later, a summary table appeared. I cross-verified with a pandas script of a dozen lines; results were basically consistent.

Doing it manually took me about an afternoon in testing. WorkBuddy plus manual verification took about twenty-something minutes. Saved time allowed me to skip writing two temporary interfaces.

AI coding tools solve repetitive labor at the code layer.

I used Cursor for three weeks. Tab completion definitely saves a few lines of boilerplate, and Composer for bulk interface edits is okay. But Cursor won't open those 14 Excel files for me, nor ask if the supplier codes are identical.

Claude Code suits complex projects better. Running multi-file modifications in the terminal saves some back-and-forth. But its goal is still writing code.

Gemini CLI is free, 1000 requests/day for personal accounts, looks tempting. But for my scenario, I still end up writing scripts to handle tables.

WorkBuddy is different. It doesn't chat architecture with me or explain what an Agent is. It just swallows files and spits out a table.

That matters to me.

I hate meetings, and I hate being human ETL after meetings even more.

However, WorkBuddy isn't without pitfalls.

Cross-workbook merging functionality—I've used it for 1 month and feel it's not mature enough.

Field alignment can't be fully automatic.

It gives mapping suggestions, like mapping "Amount (incl. Tax)" to "Order Amount." These suggestions are useful mostly, but not necessarily correct. Some tables' "Order Amount" excludes tax, others include it. Business definitions like this, AI doesn't know. It can only guess.

If it guesses wrong, finance comes looking for me the next day.

So my process is: let WorkBuddy provide candidate mappings, then manually confirm key fields. Amount, quantity, supplier code, date—these four are mandatory checks. I can tolerate errors in other fields, but if these four are wrong, no way it goes live.

Another issue: it tries hard to merge tables. When encountering blank rows, duplicate headers, or hidden sheets, it can't always judge whether it's a business anomaly or dirty data.

So it's more like advanced batch operations, not data governance.

Need to think this through clearly.

My previous view was simple: what really saves time isn't programming AI, but office tools like WorkBuddy that handle repetitive labor.

After this month, that view hasn't changed.

What changed is my expectation of it.

Initially, I hoped it would turn 14 Excels into one reconciliation master table with a single sentence, solving definition issues along the way.

Now I think that's unnecessary.

If it handles merging, filtering, format checking, and anomaly flagging, that's enough convenience.

Business definitions still need human confirmation.

Being able to manage less stuff makes it good to use.

There's a line in that landscape chart I agree with.

Don't greedily pick many tools; master one thoroughly before considering expansion.

This applies to Cursor, and it applies to WorkBuddy.

I use WorkBuddy not because it has many features, but because it hits exactly the part I hate most.

Table merging, file organizing, field mapping, anomaly checking.

It doesn't need to understand backend architecture, nor generate microservices for me.

It just needs to save me from writing two lines of code.

In this month, I also used it to organize weekly report attachments exported from Feishu Docs. Previously, I had to collect materials from ops, QA, and support teams every week, all in different formats. WorkBuddy could categorize attachments by person first, then generate a simple directory.

Results were mediocre.

I write my own weekly reports in Feishu Docs; WorkBuddy handles cleaning up the messy attachments. This division of labor is reasonable.

No need to make one tool do everything.

I've only been trying VLOOKUP these past few days.

Honestly, it felt awkward at first. Used to pandas, where one merge line solves it, spreadsheets require clicking around.

But some colleagues don't look at code; they only trust tables.

WorkBuddy's benefit is that it turns script results into tables colleagues can directly view.

pandas ensures accuracy, WorkBuddy ensures delivery.

Cursor saves me a few lines.

Put these three together, and backend grunt work decreases significantly.

But the main character is still WorkBuddy.

Because it handles not my code, but my meeting hangovers.

So my judgment is clear.

If you're a pure developer, spending most days writing business code, modifying interfaces, and patching tests, AI coding tools like Cursor are more direct.

If you're like me, frequently dragged into handling Excels, reports, reconciliations, and file organizing, WorkBuddy saves more time.

If you want a fully automated data middle platform, WorkBuddy isn't suitable yet.

Its cross-workbook merging isn't mature enough, and field alignment requires human confirmation.

It's good for compressing repetitive labor, not for bearing business judgment for you.

After using it for this month, WorkBuddy's feeling for me is: saving two lines of code is superficial.

What's truly saved is attending one fewer meeting, explaining fields one less time, and taking the blame for manual merges one less time.

Whether a tool is good ultimately depends on whether it lets you manage less.

WorkBuddy's value isn't making judgments for me, but compressing repetitive labor for me.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Ming
MingSep 1

Just finished running some SQL and wanted to cry reading this. Does saving those ten minutes give me enough time for one more session of slacking off?

Deng Siyuan

Dirty data like spaces in headers is indeed fatal; AI simply can't understand it. I also hit deadlocks last week with multi-agent collaboration. Looks like cleaning data is the hard truth; otherwise, no matter how much compute power you throw at it, it's all wasted.