Repurposing WorkBuddy from social media copywriter to translation list generator
Didn't take any orders today. Saw a WorkBuddy tutorial claiming it could automatically create Xiaohongshu (RED) image-text posts for self-media creators. My first reaction wasn't about building an account, but about the contracts in hand.
Think of the workspace as the AI's "dedicated desk." Don't lazily give it access to your entire desktop or downloads folder.
I remembered this sentence. Yesterday, I used WorkBuddy to create a scheduled task to extract scanned documents, and the date column came out completely empty. Looking back, it's not entirely that the tool failed; it's that I mixed up the desk and the warehouse.
I didn't install that Xiaohongshu Skill. I've used Skills for a month; they are just fixed steps and cannot define fields for me.
After using it for a month, I gradually figured out its three-part structure: the left side Task Flows manages items, the center Console issues commands, and the right side Artifacts holds results. The terminology isn't mystical—it's just lists, input boxes, and output files.
I redid the process. Opened WorkBuddy, clicked New Task Flow on the left, and named it "Contract List 0831". In the center, I input only one thing: Read the PDFs in the current workspace and generate a translation list. Do not mention titles, body text, or images, and do not let it send emails on the side. One dialog box handles only one task.
First, go to Workspace in settings, create a new empty folder, e.g., D:/WorkBuddy/Contract_List_0831. Place only copies of the 14 PDFs to be processed here. Keep the original files in the client directory; do not expose them to WorkBuddy.
Then write in the central input box:
Identify the filename, client name, contract date, amount, currency, source language, and delivery date in each PDF. Output as CSV. Leave unrecognized fields blank; do not guess. Standardize dates to YYYY-MM-DD.
Here, CSV is comma-separated table text, which I just started learning yesterday. For a translation list, it's better than screenshots because it can be imported into Excel or DeepL for further processing.
After running, Translation_List.csv appears in the right-side Artifacts area. Don't deliver yet. Open it and check three columns: Filename, Date, Amount. Out of my 14 files, the 11 clean PDFs were fine, but the 3 phone-scanned images still had empty dates. It's not magic failure; the images were too blurry, and the field mapping didn't align. Field mapping means matching the recognized "Contract Date" to the table's "Date" column.
Avoid pitfalls in two steps. Don't cram all requirements into one task; create a separate task flow for scanned documents. Change the instruction to: Only process PDFs with "Scan" in the filename, extract dates, and mark "Pending Manual Review" if uncertain. I added the fixed value Pending Manual Review, which is more stable than letting it improvise.
I also changed permissions. Previously, wanting speed, I gave colleagues "Full Access," but later realized it wasn't necessary. Now, task flows are private by default; colleagues only view the artifacts on the right.
During proofreading, they comment "Row 8 date is incorrect," and I return to the console to rerun. If remote access is needed, text tasks use cloud mode (tasks run on the server); local contract copies require local mode (like controlling a PC via phone). My version has these options; if yours doesn't, just export the CSV and don't share the workspace.
Daily maintenance is simple. Every Friday, archive task flows to Completed and save another copy of artifacts to Delivery Backup. Check the null rate after every run. If nulls exceed 20%, it means the input files are unqualified or the prompt is too broad. Don't wait for the client to ask before noticing.
I still don't believe in "one-click generation." The difficulty in the translation industry has never been generating pretty sentences; it's the process: intake, recognition, proofreading, delivery, archiving. WorkBuddy can save repetitive labor, but only if you hardcode the rules first.
Tools can only amplify the order you already have.
Clients only care about on-time delivery. WorkBuddy lets me keep fewer windows open, but it doesn't sign off for me.
Set the rules first, then let WorkBuddy work.
Physix Frontier