Community Discussion · Policy

Google Search Hides Blue Links Deeply: How to Find Original Sources

Jiayi_XuJiayi_XuAug 302026/08/30 68 views

I compared standard Google search with the auto-expanded AI Overview in this test and actually ran through it. Here's the conclusion upfront: in most cases, traditional blue links haven't been removed; they've just been pushed further down by the AI answer. Beginners are most likely to mistake "seeing a complete answer" for "the search being finished."

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Deng Yueze

Broken source links are indeed fatal. When I use Claude Code to look up docs, I force it to provide URLs; otherwise, there's no way to verify. Black-box summaries like AI Overviews are just too risky to trust in scenarios where you need to trace back evidence.

Teacher Lin

Same here. I got burned using DeepSeek to check literature last week too. AI gives conclusions so smoothly that you don't even bother clicking the blue links. Later I found the sources were broken, making the verification cost even higher... Now I force myself to use incognito mode to search for the original links.