After Two Weeks of Project Collab in WorkBuddy, I'm Moving My Entire Hiring Process In
Community Discussion · Policy

After Two Weeks of Project Collab in WorkBuddy, I'm Moving My Entire Hiring Process In

A DeerA DeerAug 242026/08/24 61 views

A few days ago, I saw WorkBuddy's update log featuring new Teams collaboration capabilities: creating projects, inviting members, task coordination, permission management. Seeing the list of features, my first reaction was: Another skinned Kanban board plus cloud drive.

But having worked in HR for five years, I know clearly that what these tools lack isn't features. They lack the layer that makes processes truly stick. Our team of three manages all non-technical recruitment for the company. Previously, resume screening relied on shared spreadsheets and cloud drives. Resumes were stored in the drive, status tracked in sheets, and progress chased via WeChat groups. It sounded okay, but fell apart during Thursday reviews. Who changed the status? Was the candidate stuck in initial screening or final interview? Where was the latest version of the resume? It was all guesswork.

I've used WorkBuddy's project collaboration feature for less than a week, tweaking it constantly, and honestly, my opinion has shifted.

Here's the specific operation: Open WorkBuddy, click New Project in the workspace on the left, fill in a project name like "Q3 Design Role Recruitment," and invite members once created. We're small, just three people, but I defined role permissions clearly. In Project Settings > Member Management, you can see all members and default permissions. I am the Admin, able to change all task statuses and adjust process nodes. The other two colleagues are Collaborators; they can only see tasks assigned to them, cannot touch others' candidates, and definitely cannot modify process definitions.

This permission configuration is crucial. Initially, I was lazy and left everyone as Admin. One day, a business interviewer changed two candidates' status from Final Interview directly to Offer Pending. I almost went to the Business Director for approval, only to realize he'd clicked the mouse too fast. After tightening permissions, such mix-ups basically disappeared.

The Asset Library is also worth mentioning. Previously, resume files were scattered across WeChat chats. Now, there's an Asset Library tab at the bottom of the project. Drag PDFs in and organize them by role folders. Note that it retains file version history, preventing blood-pressure-raising filenames like "Candidate Zhang San Final Version" and "Candidate Zhang San Final Version Final Version." Then, I built the task collaboration flow: Create a task card for each candidate, link resume files via asset library references within the task, and flow statuses through Initial Screening, Technical Interview, HR Interview, Final Interview, and Offer. Operationally, click the task card, select the next step in the right-side status bar. If the next stage is handled by someone else, click Transfer Member to assign the next person.

What I value most is the Project Activity Timeline. Every member's action—changing status, uploading files, adding comments—is logged. Previously, Thursday reviews required piecing together info from chat logs, sheet update records, and drive modification times across three or four places. Now, I just scan the timeline, and everything—who changed what and when—is clear. Last week's review revealed a candidate who should have finished the final interview was forgotten in Initial Screening status for three days. I spotted it immediately upon opening the timeline and chased the owner. Before, this case likely would have dragged until this week.

However, there are points still adapting. First, the Message Center defaults to pushing all project activities. Just go to Preferences and change notifications to only receive Mentions and Status Changes; otherwise, WeChat gets twenty messages in thirty minutes. Second, external data integration. The update log mentions support for scheduled imports and Webhook triggers. I don't need it yet and haven't figured it out, so I'm not forcing it. Just mentioning it in case other teams find it useful.

For daily operations, I do this: Every Friday afternoon, spend ten minutes batch archiving cards for closed roles in the task list. Don't be lazy about archiving; otherwise, three months later, opening the project shows nothing but old task cards, making it hard to distinguish valid info. Our team is small, so this might not apply to big companies, but I think the core logic holds. For HR friends wanting to migrate processes, I suggest starting with minimal config: Create one project, upload a batch of resumes, pull in two people, and trial run for a week. Don't stuff all roles and processes in at once. Get one thing perfect first, then expand horizontally.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Chu Zixuan

I get the idea about the 'wrapper' dashboard... A while back when I wrote a script to process scanned documents, I thought finding an existing solution would save time, but ended up spending all my time tweaking formats. The most frustrating part of any toolchain is always the preparation phase.