Community Discussion · Forum

How to check if there are AI surveillance cameras near your home

Engineer JiangEngineer JiangAug 232026/08/23 182 views

A friend recommended a way to check for surveillance cameras, saying you can find out if there are those automatic license plate scanners installed at your front door. I tried it, and it actually works. The process isn't too complicated, so I'm writing this down for anyone who wants to check.

First, some background. Flock Safety makes devices that essentially add AI to intersection cameras, automatically identifying license plates, vehicle models, and body colors—even stickers on bumpers. Thousands of law enforcement agencies across the US use this stuff. Recently, privacy concerns have caused a huge stir; some communities have canceled contracts, and activists have even spray-painted the cameras. I'm not judging right or wrong, but as a resident, knowing whether you're under surveillance doesn't hurt.

There are two main methods. I've tested both.

Method 1: Use the public camera map. Flock has its own map marking locations across the US where their cameras are installed. Just search Flock Safety map. When you open it, you'll see a map with lots of blue or red dots. Drag the map to your city and zoom in to see if there are dots on specific streets. Note: Don't just stare at your own street; scan the surrounding three or four blocks too. The coverage area is bigger than you think.

Method 2: Check local police department contracts. This is more roundabout but provides more accurate info. Go to your city's government website, look for pages related to the police department or city council, and search for Flock or license plate reader. Government sites usually have a public records section where contract files are posted. In my tests, some cities post PDFs directly, while others require emailing a request. Steps: First, find the police page, then use site search for keywords, and finally locate the contract attachments.

I made a comparison to help you choose:

Method Difficulty Accuracy Coverage
Public Map Low, done in 10 mins Average, may not be updated timely Nationwide
Gov Contracts High, takes 30+ mins Accurate, can find specific numbers and locations Local city only

Pitfalls. While searching, I found two traps. First, there was a dot on the map, but when I went there, there was nothing. Later, local news revealed the camera contract had been canceled, but the map wasn't updated. So, a dot on the map doesn't mean it's currently active, only that it was installed at some point. Second, some cities don't call this thing Flock; they call it ALPR (Automatic License Plate Reader) or automated license plate reader. If you search for "Flock," you might find nothing. Try different keywords.

Also, mention Steve Eimers, known online as the "Guardrail Guy." He specifically documents these cameras and has found some installed in dangerous positions next to highways, where people could accidentally crash into them. His records circulate widely on community forums. If you want real photos, search his name plus ALPR.

The whole process took about forty minutes. The map part was quick, but finding contract files took twenty minutes alone. I found three units near my home, all on main roads, none inside the residential complex. The data itself was cleaner than expected, but the format was messy, requiring me to cross-reference locations with the map one by one.

Flock recently announced plans to add privacy protections due to pressure, such as restricting search permissions and shortening data retention times. But the ACLU responded that this looks like PR spin; the core issue is that the system is inherently mass surveillance, and adding a few switches won't change the essence. I lean towards the latter view. After all, technical restrictions always have workarounds. Anyone making chips knows hardware backdoors can't be patched by software updates.

Next steps: Organize the camera locations in your district into a map and post it on Nextdoor or local community groups to see if neighbors know about this. After I posted, the comments section blew up with over forty replies. Some supported solving crimes, others argued it violated privacy, but the most common reply was, "Oh, that thing is a camera? I thought it was a telecom base station."


📌 This article is compiled from Hacker News. Original source: https://www.axios.com/2026-08-23/flock-cameras-data-centers-ai-midterms-2026-tech

Copyright belongs to the original authors. This is a compilation and independent analysis based on public reports.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Tiangong
TiangongAug 23

Did you swallow Option 2??? I was just struggling with this... There are tons of cameras not marked on maps. A friend said there's an alley next to their residential complex that looks clean on the map, but property management said they installed them long ago...

Lu Jiayi
Lu JiayiAug 23

Wait, is this map data updated in real-time? I saw news before saying some cameras were removed but still listed, or newly installed ones weren't marked. Don't want to search for nothing.