Community Discussion · Company Watch

What Taobao's ¥9.9 side-hustle courses don't teach, I figured out with WorkBuddy

Xiaoyu's MomXiaoyu's MomAug 232026/08/23 230 views

Sisters, while the kid is asleep, let me write some honest thoughts.

Last night I was browsing Taobao to buy autumn clothes for my little one, and somehow the algorithm led me into the "side hustle" channel. Wow, 5,000 items, the homepage was all "Easy typing money-making projects, earn 300+ in 1 hour," "Xianyu traffic generation, 200+ leads daily," and "AI short video side hustle monetization from beginner to master complete tutorial set," with prices ranging from 0.1 yuan to 99 yuan. I flipped through several pages, getting angrier the more I looked. It wasn't anger that these courses were scams, but anger at myself—I almost bought one three weeks ago.

At that time, I had just started growing my short video account, thinking every day about how to monetize. Seeing titles like "2026 AI Short Video & AI Drama Production Side Hustle Project How to Make Money Complete Beginner Course Practical Monetization," I really felt tempted. 9.9 yuan isn't expensive; what if there was real value inside? But clicking on the details page, the first three images were income screenshots, and from the fourth image onwards, it was just a "Course Outline," filled with phrases like "follower growth techniques," "viral logic," and "monetization paths," without a single practical demonstration. Scrolling further down, related recommendations included "Reposting foreign videos to grab creator revenue, monthly income 30k." I snapped out of it immediately. This isn't a side hustle course; it's a collection of tutorials teaching you how to exploit platform loopholes, earning money from your desire to make money.

What Really Stopped Me Wasn't "Not Knowing How," But "No Time"

I seriously thought about where I was stuck. For short videos, the difficulty isn't filming, editing, or even topic selection. It's time. My child is two years old, right at the age where they cling to you. Two hours during nap time, and after 9:30 PM at night—that's my only block of uninterrupted time in the day. By the time I wake up from a nap and get going, my brain barely starts up before it's time to go again. Looping through the third month, I realized I hadn't even finalized the topic for the first episode.

Later, I read an article about side hustles that mentioned: A true side hustle is selling the same unit of time multiple times. I agree with the latter half of that statement, but disagree with the first half. For moms, time simply cannot be sold. So I stopped looking for those "zero-basis complete sets" or "hand-holding you through it" courses and changed my mindset. Since time is insufficient, I'd find things that could do the work for me.

That's when I tried WorkBuddy. Honestly, I didn't have high expectations initially. There are too many such tools on the market, mostly shell-wrapped chatbots—you ask a question, it answers, solving no actual problems. But after three days, I found it different. It could handle tasks from start to finish. I threw in several drafts I had saved up, asked it to rewrite them separately for Douyin, Xiaohongshu, WeChat Official Accounts, and Weitoutiao, then built a schedule table. What to post each day, what images to pair with it—it listed everything clearly automatically. In the first week, my account update frequency went from one post per week to four posts per week. Now, keeping up.

Both Are "One-Click Generation," But How Does WorkBuddy Differ From Those Side Hustle Courses?

I saw quite a few seller showcases saying things like "AI automated software book-copying side hustle" or "Fully automatic video scrolling/ad watching script idle earning." I've tried both types; they are not the same thing.

The auto-video-scrolling kind is essentially exploiting platform loopholes. Accounts can be throttled at any time, and the revenue logic isn't transparent, so I don't touch it. I also researched the other "AI book copying" type. That tool extracts a segment of a book's content, uses AI to expand and polish it, and then you post it to Q&A platforms to earn traffic shares. Sounds nice, but testing revealed two pitfalls. Platform plagiarism checks are severe; AI-rewritten manuscripts are often flagged as duplicates, causing traffic to halve instantly. Also, it only gives you one manuscript. Image pairing, titling, publishing time, multi-platform distribution—all that work is left to you.

WorkBuddy is different. It doesn't just give you a piece of text; it breaks down the task of "creating content" into a process. The three functions I use most are:

First, the Material Library. I throw in clips of my child's growth, daily inspirations, and good sentences I see. It automatically categorizes them, building a searchable database. Looking at the data at the end of this month, the proportion of "materials from the library directly used in scripts" is 60%. The remaining 40% still needs processing, but at least I don't have to stare blankly at empty documents every day.

Second, Multi-platform Distribution. For the same topic, it first asks which platform is primary, then generates content based on that platform's tone. For Douyin, it creates a spoken-word script designed to hook viewers in the first 3 seconds. For Xiaohongshu, it writes a recommendation post with emojis and hooks. For WeChat Official Accounts, it produces a complete long-form article. Previously, I thought AI rewriting required handling platforms one by one. Now I'm greedier: I let WorkBuddy generate four versions first, then manually tweak each one. Editing time is saved, but the final judgment still rests with me. I can't fully hand that over.

Third, Schedule Management. Every Sunday evening, I throw in next week's topics and materials. It generates a schedule table: what to post on which day, at what time, with what images—all clear at a glance. Basically, this function is just an Excel spreadsheet, but the advantage is it fills itself in automatically. I just need to confirm.

What Those 9.9 Yuan Courses Won't Tell You

I checked the sales volume on that Taobao page. "Easy typing money-making project" sells thousands a month. I know many sisters are like me, ordering with the mindset of "It's cheap anyway, maybe it'll work." But let me be honest: the biggest problem with these courses isn't watery content; it's that they create the illusion that "I am making an effort." You spend 9.9 yuan on a course, feel like you did something productive today, then continue scrolling your phone, fantasizing about the day you "master" it. What is truly valuable are abilities that don't require "learning," only "doing."

Take WorkBuddy as an example. I've used it for three weeks. No one taught me; I figured it out myself. The first week wasted a lot of time tweaking it to recognize my document formats. Later, I discovered just telling it "follow the previous format" works—it remembers. The second week, I got the hang of it, increasing my Xiaohongshu account updates from twice a week to five times a week. Followers grew by about 1,200—not much, but at least I achieved this without neglecting childcare. By the third week, I streamlined the process and wrote it into documentation. Now, the time spent on accounts stabilizes around 40 minutes daily, mostly manual review and replying to comments.

I dislike the promises of "monthly income 30k" or "daily leads 200+" in those course videos, and I resent packaging AI tools as "passive income magic devices." For me, WorkBuddy is just a handy tool. It saves me time on organizing materials and scheduling, but topic direction, content tone, and comment section maintenance still fall on me. Tools are amplifiers, not substitutes.

What those 9.9 yuan courses can't teach you isn't how to use AI, but how to judge what is worth doing and what is worth trusting. My experience over these three weeks is: First, clarify how much disposable time you have. Then choose tools. Then stick with it for three months and look at the data. Look less at "earn 300+ in 1 hour" and more at "how much time was saved." For moms, the time saved is the real profit.

0 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
No replies yet — be the first to share your thoughts