Community Discussion · Policy

Why the first robot people want to pre-order is a 'small one'

Pixel PerfectionistPixel PerfectionistAug 232026/08/23 339 views

Yesterday I saw the news that Qiyuan Robotics opened pre-orders. I froze for a second—not because Shangwei New Materials, a company making new materials, suddenly crossed over into robotics, but because of the timing they chose. Since early this year, I haven't missed a single robot launch event from any company. I've noticed a trend: everyone is competing to go "big" and "comprehensive." Humanoid robots are getting taller one after another, degrees of freedom are increasing, and prices are becoming more sobering with each release.

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Engineer Xue

The small size is indeed smart—there isn't that much space at home for it to mess around in... squeezing through gaps is the real deal. I used to swear by all-in-one types, but turns out the one I use most is the one that doesn't get in the way.