Community Discussion · Company Watch

WorkBuddy handles scheduling better than dedicated software

Brother FeiBrother FeiAug 232026/08/23 335 views

Brothers, let me drop a conclusion first: the logic behind scheduling software isn't wrong, but when it actually lands on my warehouse's thirty-something people, one WorkBuddy is enough. There's no need to buy another system.

I read that comparison of eight scheduling software options for 2026. Things like Shifton and Deputy, which charge per head—do the math, a few dollars per person per month, and with thirty people, that's nearly two thousand dollars a year just to schedule shifts? Not worth it. The pitfalls mentioned in the article about implementation failures are spot on: running two systems in parallel, testing with fake data, employees ignoring notifications—I've stepped into all of them. But I bypassed these problems using WorkBuddy.

My situation is this: eighteen full-time workers plus a dozen temp staff, three shifts (morning, afternoon, night), and I have to finalize next week's roster by every Wednesday. Previously, the admin girl would manually schedule using Excel, taking up an entire afternoon. She also had to repeatedly confirm who was off on which day and who was covering shifts. Then I thought, doesn't WorkBuddy handle spreadsheets? Isn't scheduling essentially just filling people and times into grid cells?

Let me walk you through the operation path. Open WorkBuddy, create a workflow, name it whatever (I called mine "Scheduling"). Step one: upload shift information. The format should ideally be Excel, with clear column headers: Employee ID, Name, Shift, Date, Remarks. Here's a key point: filenames must be standardized, e.g., 2026-08-W3-shifts.xlsx. WorkBuddy has a significantly higher recognition rate for neatly named files; if you name them randomly, it gets confused easily.

Step two is writing rules. This is the most core step. Don't use vague terms like "reasonable scheduling" or "humanized arrangement." Be specific. My instructions look like this: Zhang San rests on Tuesday and Wednesday, Li Si can only work night shifts, each position in the morning shift needs at least two people, prioritize temps for weekend shifts. Write each constraint clearly, and WorkBuddy will remember these conditions. The results usually don't need major edits.

Running it takes about three minutes. I scan the generated roster, fix any conflicts manually, and save. Its learning mechanism comes in handy here—it records my changes. The second time it runs similar scenarios, there are fewer conflicts. After about three weeks, my scheduling efficiency has stabilized at getting everything done in ten-plus minutes, including check time.

There's a pitfall avoidance tip I need to share. At first, trying to save effort, I threw all the rules at it at once. Result: WorkBuddy got completely overwhelmed, and the roster came out messy. Later, I learned my lesson: let it handle one type of constraint at a time. First, schedule rest days, then assign shifts, and finally fill in temps. Doing it in three steps is fast and accurate. It's like dealing with people—don't give too many instructions at once.

Regarding permissions, I didn't make it too complex. I review the initial version generated by WorkBuddy alone, export the final version after edits, and send it to the admin girl to announce in the group chat. If employees want to swap shifts, they tell me online. I make the change and export a new version. Rules are rules; don't let people touch the source file directly, otherwise we're back to the chaos of flying Excel files.

Daily maintenance isn't special either. Feed data once every Wednesday, run it, spend ten minutes checking, and you're done. I've written the shift-swapping rules in as well: who can swap with whom, requests must be submitted before 5 PM on Wednesday—all hardcoded. This rule is truly effective. WorkBuddy knows the rules better than I do. When employees try to push boundaries with me, I just throw its scheduling result back at them.

Now, those scheduling software companies are still charging me per head, while WorkBuddy handles everything in one tool: organizing outbound orders, reconciliation statements, and shift rosters. My environment is a warehouse scenario, so it might not apply to everyone, but the mindset works. Tools aren't about quantity; if they get the job done, that's what matters.

However, there's one issue I haven't figured out yet. Compared to cloud-synced scheduling software, local-run tools like WorkBuddy are still weak in multi-person real-time collaboration. Has anyone used it for cross-departmental scheduling? Come out and chat!

1 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Han Mengyao

WorkBuddy's approach seems right; scheduling is essentially constraint solving. However, your three-step strategy is basically manually decomposing a SAT problem. For larger datasets, try preprocessing with Python scripts—for example, use pandas to split rules into multiple data frames before feeding them to WorkBuddy; efficiency might be higher.