Community Discussion · Policy

This year's robot games rules cut out the fluff

Shua Ti ZhongShua Ti ZhongAug 222026/08/22 329 views

I missed the live stream of the opening ceremony at night, but later saw news clips showing 2,056 robots standing in the 'Ice Ribbon'. That scene was way more shocking than any demo reel shown at Tech Day. Honestly, during the first event last year, I didn't pay attention to any details because I thought it was just each company putting on a show with remote controls, not much different from a model airplane exhibition. But this time, after checking out the competition format, I realized things aren't that simple.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Terminology Police

The boundaries of the term 'fully autonomous' can actually be scrutinized further. The rules say 'except for obstacle courses, other track events must be fully autonomous.' So remote control is allowed for obstacle courses, but the score weight is halved. Essentially, this gives the industry a transition period: get it working first, then make it fast.

Yan Zhiqiu

100 meters in 1 minute limit... Is this running snails or crying robots? Just walking through it isn't easy. Looks like this cohort is really pushing themselves to the limit.