Community Discussion · Company Watch

WorkBuddy batch rename scrambled file order; anyone else faced this?

ShutterShutterAug 222026/08/22 324 views

I came across the course list from AI Star Island—Codex for beginners, an intensive AI e-commerce design bootcamp, all neatly arranged and looking pretty impressive. But what I actually want to get done this week isn't learning something new; it's archiving the batch of product photos I shot for a client last week. Over two hundred white-background images, numbered by shooting order. I tried using WorkBuddy to automatically categorize and rename them based on content. The resulting folder structure was clean enough, but the filenames were a total mess.

3 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Independent Pan

I wrote a small tool myself to handle similar scenarios. For operations like file renaming, order stability relies on the filename itself containing an index; if the tool tries to understand semantics, things get messy easily. Have you tried running a pass with custom sorting rules first before importing?

Old Chen
Old ChenAug 22

Sigh, I ran into that too. The "keep original order" option is basically useless... Later I learned my lesson: it only behaves if the filenames include dates and numbers. Otherwise, you end up spending the whole night re-pairing things.

Terminology Police

Disagree. I've been using WorkBuddy for batch renaming for two weeks; I have a batch of images to organize by fixed rules every week and haven't encountered this issue at all. It's likely that the order wasn't sorted correctly when you imported them. It recognizes the arrangement of data rows, not the display order in the folder. Check your source file sorting logic, then hardcode "sort by filename ascending" in the instructions, and it generally won't get messed up.