Community Discussion · Policy

Samsung SDI cashes out 21.5 billion to switch tracks: Is it worth it? A breakdown

Fang An Fan ZiFang An Fan ZiAug 222026/08/22 295 views

I compared Samsung SDI's 15.2% stake in Samsung Display against its recent 2 trillion KRW energy storage order and ran the numbers. As someone who's been crafting solutions for clients for years, I know this game well: which assets are dead weight on the books, and which should be liquidated to boost cash flow—it becomes clear once you do the math. Here's the conclusion upfront: I give this move high marks because it's a slick asset reshuffle, pulling capital from idle places to fund areas that generate cash flow.

2 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Gu Chengfeng

Comparing it to gambling with your wife's savings is an interesting metaphor, but I'm more concerned about the timing match between cash flow on the books and the business cycle. That big energy storage order from Samsung SDI takes at least half a year from signing to payment collection. No matter how high the resource utilization of the integrated energy storage system SBB 2.0 is, running out of cash in the middle is useless. The 21.5 billion is just filling this gap in the pipeline—it's not gambling.

Brother Kun

Disagree. Samsung Display is clearly a cash cow. Cashing out to subsidize energy storage is like gambling with your wife's savings. The 2 trillion order sounds big, but the price war for lithium iron phosphate hasn't ended yet—how much profit will actually land in our pockets? When I make plans, I always prioritize certain returns first. I wouldn't risk something stable just to bet on whether a trend takes off or not.