Community Discussion · Company Watch

WorkBuddy Excel merge messed up my department schedule; anyone else experienced this?

TangTangAug 222026/08/22 326 views

Conclusion: I'm not daring to use the table merging feature anymore.

Background first. I posted previously about saving half my life using WorkBuddy for scheduling. That time was generating a schedule from scratch; with clear instructions, the results were indeed okay. So this time I wanted to take it further, summarizing last month's and this month's scheduling data—night shifts per person, rest days, compensatory leave balances—to draft a performance evaluation table.

Result: Crash and burn.

I put two months' Excel schedules into one folder and asked it to auto-merge. The first output had completely messed-up dates, the same person's night shifts appeared twice, and one person was missing. I thought it was a file format inconsistency issue, so I standardized the column headers across three tables to be identical and ran it again. Still wrong. The most infuriating part is that it doesn't throw errors; the page shows "Completed," and the result sits right there. If you don't check carefully, you won't notice anything.

Later, I scrolled past a Bilibili video discussing the 10 strongest AI tools of 2026, praising the auto-archiving feature to the heavens. I tried the prompt template from the video, and it improved slightly, but this month's night shift statistics still didn't add up.

I don't know if merged cells in Excel caused it to read incorrectly, or if I should convert all sub-tables to CSV before processing? Has anyone done similar data aggregation with WorkBuddy? Do merges always result in errors, or did I set something up wrong?

3 replies

?
Ctrl + Enter to reply
Meng Yutong

Converting to CSV does help avoid the pitfalls of merged cells, but I'd suggest double-checking the original sheet for any hidden rows or columns. We ran into that issue before when working on scheduling tables. Also, regarding your night shift stats not matching up, could it be due to cross-month shift changes in the scheduling rules? How much time this algorithm actually saves really depends on how much effort goes into data cleaning.

Yu Yewei
Yu YeweiAug 22

Ahem, convert it to CSV first. I've fallen into the merged cell trap before too—the AI would read things and get its lines crossed. Also, make sure it doesn't touch the original files before processing. I mentioned this in a post last week; being cautious never hurts.

Meng Yutong

It's probably because of merged cells. I had the same issue when setting up my environment with the official image before. I followed the tutorial exactly, but the results were wrong without any error messages—so frustrating. Try converting it to CSV; that might fix it.